HybridZ

GM LV1 ?

toffee

Has anyone considered GM's LV1 engine as swap candidate?   LV1 is an all alloy OHV 90deg V6 that weight around 350 lbs and produced 285 hps and 305 lb/ft of torque.  It has direct injection, so carbon buildup would be part of the deal, however it was designed for trucks so designed for RWD.

As a 90deg OHV engine, it came with that slightly lowered center of gravity, at 350 lbs (can anyone verify that?), it weighted about the same as Z's I6.  No weight penalty here.  If LS engine can fit, this 6 cylinder version of LS shouldn't have problem, in fact lighter and better weight distribution.

All inputs are welcome!!!

https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/lv1/

• 3 weeks later...

The LV1 only came in vans as far as I know.  The LV3 is more widely available but has displacement on demand (DOD) that needs to be removed.  You can pull the balance shaft out and they work fine from what I've read.  For some reason these are super pricey, which seems odd as there should be a bunch on the used market.  They came in a number of trucks and small SUVs.

The LV1 and LV3 are 100 pounds lighter than the equivalent V8.  Scoggin Dicky has some dyno videos where they used a pulled LV3 with DOD delete and a new cam and it made 368 HP and had over 300 ft-lbs of torque at 2 or 2.5K.  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 8/18/2023 at 12:53 PM, tube80z said:

The LV1 only came in vans as far as I know.  The LV3 is more widely available but has displacement on demand (DOD) that needs to be removed.  You can pull the balance shaft out and they work fine from what I've read.  For some reason these are super pricey, which seems odd as there should be a bunch on the used market.  They came in a number of trucks and small SUVs.

The LV1 and LV3 are 100 pounds lighter than the equivalent V8.  Scoggin Dicky has some dyno videos where they used a pulled LV3 with DOD delete and a new cam and it made 368 HP and had over 300 ft-lbs of torque at 2 or 2.5K.  

100lbs less, so they are like 50 lbs or so heavier than original I20?

Hard to say.  The only L-series engine I weighed was a friend's race car long block and nothing but a Peterson dry sump, Alloy crank pulley, and dry sump drive.  That was 325.  So I don't know if that is going to be 50 lbs, but it's probably very close.

14 hours ago, tube80z said:

Hard to say.  The only L-series engine I weighed was a friend's race car long block and nothing but a Peterson dry sump, Alloy crank pulley, and dry sump drive.  That was 325.  So I don't know if that is going to be 50 lbs, but it's probably very close.

LV1 or LV3 were 90deg V6 and OHV, that allows a lower center of gravity.  Being a V6, sit would sit further back, perhaps behind front axle?