HybridZ

What do you guys think of this manual boost valve?

ratedZ

I've not used that particular one, but the bleeder-type I am using (MSA adjustable boost - way expensive), behind the heat shield, is extremely temperature sensitive. My boost varies from 8-10 psi depending on outside temperature and how warm the car is.

For their price it might be worth it to try it.

Guest Anonymous

My buddy has one one his turbo integra. After he put it on he said the tires just break loose when boost hits in first. I don't really know why he got it, he has an ajustable wastegate(typical ricer).

Guest Tim78zt

I looked at this one but went with what looks like the same unit from Dawes Devices. Darren hooked me up with free Priority Mail shipping (got it in 3 days)and great email support. He answered every question I had very promptly!! http://www.dawesdevices.com/boost.html

I installed it this past weekend so don't know yet about temp sensitivity. Mine is installed between the compressor and internal(stock)wastegate, hanging above my air filter. I hope it is not seeing temps over 250deg in that area!! If you email Darren please let him know I sent you! BTW, his instructions for installing it say it is not a "bleeder". I think it has to do with where and how you install it. My boost still comes in smooth, but it definitely feels stronger even at low boost, just like Dawes said it would.

Good luck with your decision!!

Tim78zt

The difference between the one sold by boostvalve.com, the Dawes one and A "bleeder" is that the first two only let pressure pass to the Wastegate when the pressure hits a certain level, where as a bleeder is always allowing some pressure to hit the waste gate. The Boostvalve.com and Dawe's type is a relief valve with an internal spring and superior since it gives more low rpm boost. I've tried both on me Eclipse and much prefer the releif type. It seems to be much less temperature sensitive, but I do change it seasonally, as cooler temps allow me a few more psi before the timing starts getting pulled by the knock sensor and ECU.

BTW, the Dawe's site has a nice FAQ down the page that's linked above that describes the difference.

[ November 05, 2001: Message edited by: pparaska ]

Guest Tim78zt

Rated, be sure to print and follow Darren's instructions exactly. Since my setup doesn't have much extraneous stuff like his pics show, I just cut the hose between my compressor and the stock wastegate and put the valve there. Be sure and don't get in a hurry and zip-tie the hose ends on the new valve until you have had a chance to adjust it to the setting you will run. Also remember to put a little dab of oil on the valve's barbed ends before pushing the hoses on. The hoses will twist just like he says when you try to adjust the valve.

My experince so far is that it holds boost much better so 5# feels like nothing I've ever had before(I was running the stock 7psi before I installed the valve). Very strong pull. Even running "0" at the threshold of boost between vacuum and 1# boost it feels so strong! I'm running about 12# now but I'm having some trouble with misfire at anything over 10#. That's what they mean when they say it's always something!!

Tim78zt