HybridZ

'83 2.8Turbo Hydraulic lifters???

PETEW

I have a guy who has a '83 turbo motor with an intercooler, and a performance ignition on it. It seems to run good, but I heard so many bad things about the Hydraulic lifters. He also has an '81 turbo motor with a rebuilt turbo, but the motor is on the floor and hasn't been run. Which of the two engines should I go for. They both have there positives and negatives. Both have complete harness and computers and will come with 5 speed. Let me know what you guys think. By the way he is asking the same price for both engines.

I'm running the 83ZXT engine in my Z Iceracer and have had no trouble with it. If the engine is in good shape and been well looked after then the hydraulic lifters should be OK. A good check would be to see if they were using synthetic oil?

You should do a good compression check and leakdown test to ensure the engines are sound, pull the valve cover and check to see how clean the engine is internally. Also if the car has been well maintained they should have service records. Oil must be changed more frequently in a turbo engine than NA engine.

Thanks. He said that the "bad" hydraulic lifter thing has been overhyped. The main reason I am worried is because I want to get it in the 300-350 hp range. I just heard so many bad things about the lifters cracking under sustained high RPM and I was wondering if this is really true. He does use synthetic oil in his engine (Amsoil) but I can't say for the guy who owned it before him. What should the compression be for the Turbo engine be? I know that NA should be ~164-175 is the turbo the same? Thanks. icon_razz.gif

What's so bad about he hydrolic lifters? I believe it's the P90A head? I know their discontinued and if they go south your SOL but other than that I've heard they where ok. I've looked at mine and everything is nice and clean and I run synthetics in my turbo engine. Your statement just kind of makes me paranoid especially when I'm planning on running 15psi in the VERY near future...like in a month. Should I add swapping out to a P90 in my to do list? icon_confused.gif

That was actually a question I was going to ask. If I do but the motor with the hydaulic lifters (P90a) can you just get the older P90 head and swap? I was thinking there was a little more to it than that. I sure would love to know this. After all I all ready know the '83 motor runs and drives and gets good boost. I just have to check compression and some odds and ends.

All of the heads from 70-83 are interchangeable with the 70-83 blocks (as long as you aren't putting a 280z head on a 240 block...something about valve clearance). The P90 is a direct swap for the P90A. I chose to go with the P90A and I hear that I may be the last person to have gotten a new set of hydraulic lifters. They were pricey (+$300 with discount). For that kind of money, you could get a P90 head and new lifters for it... Oh well, I just hope these lifters don't go south in the next 10 years!!