HybridZ

Turbo/NA block

Guest Anonymous

Yeah it will bolt together no problem, but the problem will be KEEPING it bolted on! icon_eek.gif

You see, because of the extra air/fuel that the turbocharger will give you, the compression ratio needs to be lower (stock turbo engine is about 7:1) The problem is that a 83zx n/a engine has flaptop pistons and will give you a CR normal to a n/a engine. It can be done, but at 12 psi you'd better figure a way on controlling that detonation. (intercooler, very good fuel, water injection, ect.)

Guest Anonymous

Im curious if anyone tried turboing the l28na block with the l28et manifold and turbo?I have an 83ZX with the p79 head,and I aquired a complete ZXT exhaust manifold with a freshly rebuilt stock turbo attached to it.It looks like it would bolt right up to the NA block.Will it?From the looks of it I just need the turbo oil pan for oil supply.If it does bolt right up what other parts do I need?And once its all together what can I expect out of it?I was planning 10-12psi using 2 Starion/Conquest intercoolers welded together I made at work.Trying to work around doing the whole 280zx NA to turbo swap.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah,I though about the compression ratio differences but I thought Id experiment a little being the motor in my Z is tired at 130psi across all cylinders,and if I blew it up,no big deal.Id just go ahead and drop in a new engine in.Im kinda figuring with the low compression the head gasket will blow right out anyway.Thanks for confirming the manifold bolting right up.Im also wondering about how the NA engine managment will handle the change as far as timing/fuel curves and so on.Im gonna start at 5psi after installation and keep going up 1psi watching the Autometers to see where its safe.

• 2 weeks later...

Put the dished turbo pistons in the block, that will make it essentally a turbo F54. You'll still want to tap the oil pan for a turbo oil drain (or swap on the turbo pan). With the N/A fuel injection, you will not be able to make much power - probably be lucky to safely run stock boost. So swap out the ECU, wiring harness, AFM, and distributor to complete the tubo conversion.