HybridZ

diesel turbo

biohzrd

i was just wondering what the differance was between a turbo for a diesel engine and one from a gas engine? are they interchangable. i have a line on a couple of turbos off the newer model ford powerstroke. these are new in the boxes and were not supposed to have come here. as a result the dealer was throwing them away!!!! can you believe that. me and my buddy picked them up and took them home. if they are usable on a gas motor i would like to know. may end up building a turbo motor 2thumbs.gif

Contrary to what some people say, just about all "performance" turbos and turbo "upgrades" were designed for diesel trucks.

Usually one thing that makes a difference is the turbine housing. It might be something like a 6, 7, or 8cm housing for a car, but for a diesel truck it could be something like 10, 11, or 12cm, which would cause way too much lag for a car.

biohzrd,

Funny you should ask. I read about this this morning in HPBooks Turbochargers by Hugh MacInnes. There is a pic on page 40 that shows a mismatch as they put it of a diesel turbo on a gas engine. However, the problem seems to stem from the fact that the turbocharger has no seals to prevent gasoline from flowing through bearings. So that should only be a problem for draw-through systems as they show.

I'm fixing to turbo my triple mikunis, so have been do a bit of reading. If you need anything else, let me know.

I see that you are in BR. What kind of car do you have. Did you know that we have a Z club?

Guest Anonymous

Yep, what Sam said... The seals are about the only thing, that and physical size, the exhaust side of a big diesel might just be a bit big for your average small block or L6, I wouldn't say it would'nt work, but there would definitely be a lag until the exhaust volume was big enough to spin the wheel and make air on the compressor side. I'm no turbo expert (although I play one on TV... :D ), but I know that matching the turbo flow on both sides of the turbo should match your combo pretty closely if you want to enjoy a pleasurable turbo experience.

IMHO, thats why turbo's were often given a bad rap with all the 'lag' and it is mainly do to improper sizing.

Regards,

Lone

Go to yahoo groups and look for JYTURBO they are a bunch of guys who build turbo setups out of the junk yards... If I remember right the powerstroke turbos are quite good and can be used on a V8 applications just go to the message board and do a search for powerstroke....