HybridZ

Supercharger questions

Z-Dreamer

Hey John!

The supercharger you use does it force the boost thru the carb? It looks like an ATI Procharger is it? How do you like it?

How loud is the blower whine? Also for anyone interested in GM Performance Parts for Chevy

V8 or V6's and even Buick V6's go to www.gmperformanceparts.com/GMPPTOC.htm

This site shows part numbers and prices.

Thanks for the Warm Welcome! Mark

------------------

Hey John,

What kind of modifications did you have to do to the Holley?? To run 18psi are you adding fuel from an aux. source( ie. hobbs switch and an extra inj.). I have seen blow through conversions before but never asked how it was done.

[This message has been edited by Ray (edited April 26, 2000).]

Ray, Mark, The procharger is a great unit that can be adapted to many induction systems. I chose the carb blow through because I am on a budget with my car. I'm sure FI is the hot ticket, but this works really well. A regular holley carb (mine is a 600 dbl pmpr) has the choke horn milled off, the area where the choke linkage passes through sealed with JB quick weld, heavy duty needles/seats, and neoprene floats. Thats it. No carb enclosure like Paxton.(No room on a six either) I would recommend a larger stud tapped in, I blew mine out at full boost! The fuel can be handled by a modified mechanical pump, or an electric that is regulated by boost/vacuum. I also have a big pressure relief valve that dumps boost when its not needed, saving on heat transfer, bent throttle blades, and bent impellers(not an issue w/ billit)I run the mallory 140 w/boost regulator, 5 psi idle, pump then increases w/boost. So far so good. The 600B(billit) is good for 60,000 rpm which will give over 20 lbs. They have units that make this look like a hair dryer if you need more!

Mark you were wondering about this set up over a turbo, both will have there benefits and shortcomings. The centrifugal chargers are the most efficient superchargers made. Adibiatically, they don't heat the air charge as much as other systems i.e. roots, turbos. Their boost is linear and once you have your revs up, power is instantaneous. On a low compress. v6 w/big cam the bottom end is really dead. Don't get me wrong it will still stick a 4 sec 0-60, just kind of lazy for the first second. If you run a stick this won't be an issue. I would consider both systems before I'd choose. I feel the Turbo with the computer/+ FI is much more complicated, but probably will give bigger hp#s throughout the rpm range. True you get some lag, but the potential of a turbo system is amazing. Quiz Scottie-GNZ on the buick system. Hes got experience here. If anyone wants more info on the procharger check out their website www.procharger.com Their tech people are great to work with. I'll be glad to answer any specific questions that I can.

JS

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited April 26, 2000).]

Hey John, Thanks for the quick reply! I know

modern Turbo's make BIG power and I hope I didn't offend Scottie-GNZ by my preference of

Supercharger vs Turbo but I'm afraid that a Turbo would be a complicated way to go with all the plumbing and wiring, not to mention the ECM and FI. I just wouldn't know what the

hell I'd be doin! I would prefer some form of

FI over carburation, something like Holly's

Pro Jection Di with a blow thru like yours.

That I believe I could setup and tune. I still want to go V6, Chevy or Buick. Both platforms can be bullit proof. thanks again

Mark

------------------

Mark look into the complete engine packages for sale, i.e. turbos, engine computer and all. I've seen both the GN and TY/SY engines come up for sale. Scottie has done the swap so he could give you info on wiring and set up. If you go the procharger route, I'll give you all the tips I can, especially if you go 4.3. (comp. ratios, pulley sizes, jetting, etc.) . Keep us posted.

JS

Guest Anonymous

I looked into the Holley 4Di Projection system when I was going to build a blown L28. I called Holley and they said that a blow-through setup would destroy the sensitive fuel management components of any projection unit. They also said that the computer cannot produce the fuel map necessary for a blower setup. You are definately on the same page I was at a few months ago though...great minds must think alike! I am going to use the 900CFM 4di unit on my 383 stroker due to the precise tuning that can be accomplished with just a laptop computer...a little pricy..but I'm sure I'd spend that much hiring somebody to tune a carb for me.

SpencZ

MonsterZ Cont. http://members.xoom.com/SpencZ/index.htm

• 1 year later...