HybridZ

Oil Blowby from Turbo

Hey guys one of my coworkers just put a greddy turbo kit, that he bought from E-bay,on his Honda Civic (not everyone is graced with a Z). He had the turbo gone thru by a local builder. He is getting oil coming thru the compressor & exhaust turbines. He called them and the told him he needed to vent the return line to the oil pan. We did this last night with no results. I was wondering what the oil pressure requirments are for the turbo? If we are putting full oil pressure into a turbo that may only require 15-20 psi? Do we need a restrictor? If so where can we get one. Thanks Rick 2thumbs.gif

Ok, So let me get this straight he didn't make a return line from the turbo to the oil pan before he started it up? If thats the case it would seem like it would blow the seals and do what it did. If he did have everything set-up right then it's possible that the oil return line is not big enough or has the wrong angle or something like that. The return line must be very free flowing and free from any obstruction. Aslo make sure that the flow back into the pan is above the oil level in the pan.

Ofcourse its possible that the seals were bad before he started. I know you sadi he had it checked but, maybe they did a bad job or something???

At idle the turbo dos not need a ton of pressure but, at full song it will need a considerable amount to make sure the shaft stays floating.

Maybe I wasn't clear, but we did have a 3/8" line to the oil pan above the oil level installed originally. The turbo rebuilder told us we needed a vent line run from the oil return line to the valve cover. We got a T fitting with a 3/8" thru and a 1/4" on the T. We then ran this 1/4" to a drilled & tapped a 1/4" fitting in the valve cover. Still having oil where it shouldn't be ie intake & exhaust. Ther is actually oil dripping from the exhaust side of the housing. The more I'm thinking of it I believe the turbo was rebuilt incorrectly. :confused:

Does he have excessive blowby?

I've seen more than one turbo rebuilt because of this exact same symptom only to find out that it had nothing to do with the turbo at all.

Have him check/replace the PCV valve. If he boosts with a bad PCV then it will usually pressurize the crankcase so bad that it will push oil right past the turbo seals (which incidentally look like little piston rings).