HybridZ

L24ET went boom!

Tony240ZT

Well, the L24ET in my `73 was running real strong after I found out I had the distributor in backwards! I would say it had 180hp at the crank. I got it on the freeway punched it until I got up to around 90mph and noticed I lost some power so I let off. I'm only boosting around 7 pounds (7.56:1 CR), and I was running more rich than anything. After I slow the RPMs back down I hear this awefull knocking noise and the engine doesn't want to keep idling on it's own. It acted like the turbo fell apart and the turbine was getting stuck and not allowing the engine to breath. I babied it home, took the turbo off and it looked perfectly fine. I checked all of the plugs and they look okay, just a bit rich looking. I've got oil and oil presure, everything apears okay.

I'm thinking I busted a rod bolt. I haven't seen any metal on the dipstick, so I'm not 100% sure. The sound sounds like preignition at low RPMs, and makes the whole engine run very rough (shakes), the car is very hard to start up now, and before this it started up so easily. I was hoping it was my distrobutor making the engine fire at the wrong time, so I swapped it but that didn't help. I'm not blowing any smoke, I guess I should just take off the oil pan and take a peak at everything. What a bummer, it was a lot of fun. This was a `72 L24 bottom end, so it had the smaller 8mm bolt rods, I'm guessing they will give out easier than the `73 9mm ones. I had over boosted once before with my carbbed turbo setup, and may have weakened something, and then when I got on it with the EFI setup it was enough to make it let go.

I guess I'll be dropping in a L28 now. I have a F54 block in the garage with L28ET rods/pistons. I'll need a crank, bearings, seals, timing gear, etc. If someone has a L28 crank laying around that is just in the way in the garage let me know, I through mine out because I thought I was going to use a LD28 crank.

i have a free l28 -probably with low miles if yuo want ot come to modesto to get it.check compression before tearing motor down.then take pan off.or just skip to new motor idea.a couple of trips to high boost shouldnt have taken motor out unless something was going wrong anyway.you just speeded up the aging process.

Randy, I may take you up on that offer. I don't need the head.

I wonder if my 280ZX could take that much weight in the back? Give me some time to finish up my 7m-gte transplant and I'll come on over and pick it up. Might take me a week or two.

I haven't done a compression check yet, been too busy with the other car. Just got my Wolf3D engine management system, and a bunch of mandrel bends for the intercooler piping.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I was wrong. Looks like the cam gear was pretty messed up. A couple teeth looked pretty sad. I took off the pan, saw no problems, went over the fuel and ignition system, and found nothing wrong, so after taking the head off and getting it down to a bear block I get to put it back together again.

I'm guessing the chain slipped a couple teeth. Anyways, I put it back together and it lit right up on the first crank. Haven't taken it on the road yet, but seems to run pretty smooth.

Thanks for the offers, but I think I'll try and see what this L24ET can put up with.

Hehe, thanks Len. Took it out on the road, played with the AFM a bit and the car is running very strong.

I'll get some 1/4mile times and horse power estimates in the near future if I can get my hands on a G Tech.

Anyone know how hard a L24 can be pushed, with 8mm bolts? I'd be happy with 220hp with an intercooler and upgraded injectors. I have a set of 370cc/min injectors and a starion intercooler that I will be dropping in.

I think the 370's are a good idea for injectors. From information I've learned; they should give you up to 300 HP. I think maybe 260's will give you the 220 hp your after(those are stock on 280 ZXTurbo's). Don't know what to tell you about your 240 engine. I'd figure you would probably blow a head gasket before you distroy your bottom end!

With regards to your injectors. If you bought them 2nd hand, might be advisable to get them flow tested. Heck if just one is bad you run the risk of running lean on that one cylinder and guess what distruction of that one cylinder! A place in Fla. will charge 25 bucks to rebuild injectors so I'd figure that's a small price to pay for piece of mind!

My 2 centavos senor!

Len