HybridZ

BOV installation 280ZXT engine - I Need Advice

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I HAD a type H BOV that dischaged into the atmosphere. It caused alot of problems. I am switching my BOV to a NEW TurboXS Type H34 BOV that I can vent back into my intake. I was told that this is how I have to do it to avoid the problems I was having with the other BOV.

My question is for those who have done this. How did you plumb a line into the suction hose (intake)? I am hesitant to cut into that hose. Did any of you "T" into the crank case ventilation hose that goes from the crank case to the suction hose? The instructions I have state that I have to plumb the BOV discharge back into the intake AFTER the AFM and before the Turbo. It would seem that a "T" into the crank case vent hose might work, but I think I should get some other opinions before I do that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chas Ryan

What is your AFM -> Turbo intake made out of? aluminum, rubber?

Do you have any semi closeup pics of it? If the room is there, I may have a suggestion on how to build your own intake for it out of parts available at your local Home Depot for pretty cheap (under $20) that will allow you to get higher flow and dump back into the intake without cutting up any of your stock tubing...

Guest Anonymous

and i learned you definitely need a one-way valve on the valve cover house.

the air blew back in and pushed the gasket out a little

Guest Anonymous

What do you mean by you need a one way valve for your valve cover housing? I use a little air filter thing where the hose use to come off of my valve cover to my turbo intake tube. I use the place where the hose came from the intake tube for my BOV discharge. Is there a reason I shouldnt do this?

You're letting in unmetered air by creating a new air intake into the PCV system (valve cover). I guess this ultimately lead to an overly lean conditon. If you tee-in to the PCV hose, do it very close to the air intake large hose rather than near the valve cover to prevent spikes in crankcase pressure so that the BOV is dumping into a larger volume of air. DAW

waytofast

I also placed a K&N valve cover breather filter; Where the old (valve cover to AFM)hose connected to valve cover. When I complete installation of my I/C & BOV I plan to run directly from BOV exaust into my AFM hose where valve cover breather hose used to run. Hopefully it should work OK. Now if you you were just going to splice into the hose using a "T" then I would think a one way valve from T to valve cover would be a good idea so you won't get BOV press into crankcase when the BOV blow's

Guest Anonymous

dont only reason i dont want to use a filter on the valve cover instead of the breather hose is that im creating a vacuum in the system and my car idles alot higher. Keep in mind that the engine was designed to run on a CLOSED vacuum system.

I'm sure that if i go with an SDS or any other aftermarket system i can use a BOV and discharge into the air plus and not worry about a closed vacuum system

Guest Anonymous

almost forgot.....DAW youre right.

a y fitting would be best. it just dawned on me now that with a T fitting the air would go right into the valve cover.

Thanks

Guest Anonymous

it can be done. i want to build one to change the angle so it sits lower.

i took some video with my digital camera today at a z meet in north jersey. we had guys from NY and CT there nice turnout. so i'll try to extract some of the frames from my video tomorrow.

Jeff, there are probably plenty of sources for "Y" fittings, but one I noticed that would work well is the heater hose metal "Y" from a '73 240Z. It is about a 5/8" tube about 5" long with a 1/2" tube feeding into the other in a "Y" configuration. Use the larger, straight section to vent BOV into large air intake hose, and connect the PCV intake hose to the smaller tube and aiming toward the large air intake hose. This should do it. A check-valve effect is created both by the difference in hose diameters (BOV vs PCV) and the direction of the "Y". DAW