HybridZ

P-90 vs P90A

Both heads are great for turboing.. If you want a low compression head for an NA motor then the P90 is probably your best bet only because it will allow you to run a more wild cam without the chance of bleading down, and it is said that the P90A bleeds down at RPMs over 6500, and with wild cams with super strong valve springs.

In a turbo setup where you don't run wild cams, and the need for super strong springs isn't there either head is just fine. The P90A doesn't require adjusting and is super quiet, so if you know that your P90A doesn't have any bad lifters then I'd stick with it.

If you have access to a P90, and can manage the swap, I would swap the heads. I had a P90A, and it was great until the lifters started going bad. New ones are expensive.

I also believe that the P90 head with solid lifters makes a little more power, and it makes a lot more than a P90A with lifters going bad.

If you have the P90A and like it, more power to you. You couldn't give me one again.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll hold off on the P-90 swap for now. I have bigger fish to fry this summer. Really I'm tring to pick up a few extra ponies without leaning on the motor any more than I already am. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up some bigger injectors and an Apexi AFC this summer. I'm also planning some more suspension rebuild and mods this summer so my plates a little full already.

Can someone tell me how much the Apex deal is? Does anyone know how to wire one into the 280ZX Turbo wiring harness? What exactly does it modify? Is it voltage, or resistance at given RPMs? Has anyone been able to make a lot more horse power from being able to tune in the stock system better, or should you only expect minor horse power differences?

I think I'll probably just buy another wiring harness for my Wolf3D and install it into my `73, swapping back and forth between the `72 - `73, but would be nice to not have to worry about it, and if I ever wanted to sell the car I would have to buy another Wolf3D system, so that wouldn't be any fun.

The Apex'i Super AFC usually runs around $300. It can be setup for various different MAF systems (Karmen Vortex, Flapper, Hotwire, etc...) so it should be able to be wired straight into a Z.

I'm picking a Super AFC (I've always had an older AFC, but it has dip switches that Apex'i has no clue how to set for a Zcar) as a trade for a tranny rebuild I am doing for a local DSM'er.

Once I get it and get my 83ZXT and ECU/Harness installed I'll install it.

The SAFC usually doesn't give great HP gains by itself, however, it's main advantage is that it allows you to run bigger injectors without having to run a standalone and allows you to tune the entire fuel curve. On my DSM, at least, I found I could smooth out the power curve and actually increase my low end spool (which was not too easy to do on my Frank 4) by adjusting the low end settings.

The SAFC has two different settings. One for low throttle position settings, and one for high throttle position settings. So, if you want it to run a little lean cruising but you want it to run a little fat under WOT then you can have your cake and eat it, too.

A friend of mine put one on his 3G Eclipse and other than some tunning proublem that he had it's pretty cool.

What I'm curiuos about is does it realate to how much boost your running? You know what I'm mean 5000 and 10 psi is totally different than 5000 and 14 psi.

By the way how do you put a pic under your name? I want to do this but, haven't found out how yet.

Later,

It doesn't look at boost levels, it only looks at MAF signals. The more boost you run the higher MAF signal it sees.

To add a pic to your name go to my profile -> update profile and then scroll down to your signature and use the [ img ] [ /img ] commands to insert a pic, just like if you were inserting one into the text of a message

http://www.apexi-usa.com/electronics_safc.asp

There's a link to the Apex'i website...however...don't let their rediculous price fool you.

If you're building a show car and are using the SAFC Apex'i has a boost controller, the AVC-R that complements it perfectly!

Usually Road Race Engineering ( http://www.roadraceengineering.com ) has the best price on SAFC's...

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclfuel.htm

this link may do a better job of explaining how the SAFC works than the Apex'i one...