HybridZ

finally bought my hybrid turbo

scottyMIz

Well, selling my DSM was a tough decision. Basically, I'm a tech for Mitsubishi, so I don't really like to work on cars unless I absolutely have to. My DSM was cursed so I ended up having to fix something every couple of months. The Z is much simpler to work on and appears to be more reliable. I haven't done one yet, but the clutch looks "Fischer-Price" easy.

I'd seen a couple of sweet Z's, so I started researching them. The more I learned about them, the more I liked them. I liked the wide variety of options that they had. Different trannies, different engines, different rear ends, whatever the mind can think of, somebody has done to a Z.

I got a pretty good deal on my '77, considering the amount of money that was put into it. For $2500 I got a straight Z with a halfway decent interior that already had a complete coilover suspension, adjustable camber plates, billet fuel rail, O-ring injectors, an upgraded cam, cold air intake, and a 2.5" magnaflo exhaust...however, I know the Z has much more potential left in it, the only way for me to get that potential out of it, though, was to sell the DSM and put every dime of it into the Z.

My goal is simple. I want an 11 second show car that will kick ass on the road course :D That's not too much to ask is it? Hehe...

I just bought the MSA front and rear body kit and the F40 style spoiler (can't wait to see if I made the right choice with that one, but I think it'll look good) and the car should now be Porsche Red as we speak (I go to pick it up in 3 hours).

I've also bought an engine for it. It's an L28ET with a ported and polished P90A head, Schneider racing cam, blueprinted and balanced bottom end, Garret T3/T4 turbo, and JE 9:1 pistons (.20over) that is scheduled to arrive here on Monday (was supposed to be Friday, but the shipping company didn't call me until after I had walked out of the house to make the appointment on Thursday, so when I called Friday morning it was too late to have it delivered that day).

DSM's are respectable in their own right and I won't ever completely walk away from them, but, Z's are a timeless classic that pretty much demands respect from young and old alike. If it wasn't for Z's, DSM's probably wouldn't exist. The Z car opened up the gateway for other import manufacturers, or so is my opinion.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scotty... Sorry Bro if we kinda took over your post bonk.gif So what's the update with the turbo?

Bill... DSM (Eclipse) are good cars but that timing belt and the tranny seems to be one of the main weak point from what I've read. Good thing my timing belt was replaced recently.

Wow good deal on the Z potential high 12 / low 13 second car with suspension for $2500, that's really good. Well the parts your adding on... defiantly sounds like already a 11 sec car with the right hookup (traction).

Porsche Red huh... I have the same color on my car but it's 4 years old now. Color is faded but still looks decent. You'll like the color, I think if I repainted the car it would be the same color. I wanted to change it a nice white color, but the Porsche Red stands out on the Z's.

Well, the guy I bought it from claimed it ran a 13.5 I haven't ran it yet, so I don't know for sure, but I dunno...

The timing belt isn't the main issue as long as it's maintained, the trannies are the real weak points, or at least until the center diff is upgraded, however, on the 90-91's the rear axles snap like twigs once the power is upped to any substantial level.

The "best" DSM to get is an April of '92. You get the good engine and the good rear end.

Guest Anonymous

My guess is that Scotty is flying on some back road right now after having put a quick 1000 break-in miles on this motor in a couple days flamedevil.gif

Bill-

your setup sounds pretty k/a! How about some pics of the new paint? And what are you doing for the i/c?

I'm currently into buying a custom core/assy. right at the moment. Not sure if it will work out.. its the right size and price though.

-980mak rockon.gif

I've always liked the look, size, layout, and price of the FMIC available from turbochargers.com, which is what I had on my DSM and I think I will run on my Z, too. It's a 24" Griffen for $520 with the end tanks and everything installed. I think it'll fit perfectly in the Z and the inlet and outlet should be just right, too.

FMIC.jpg

http://www.turbochargers.com/currentspecials/FMIC.htm

I stopped by yesterday (Saturday) at noon to pick the car up. The car was red, but the body kit had not been installed or painted yet...maybe today, but I doubt it...