HybridZ

finally bought my hybrid turbo

scottyMIz

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ScottyMiz,

My bodykit (MSA front and rear bumper skirt and spoiler) arrived today, supposed to deliver to the paint guy tonight.

Also, my L28ET (JE 9:1's, blueprinted bottom end, ported and polished P90A, oversized valves, schneider racing cam, Garrett T3/T4 turbo, etc..) should have also shipped out today.

Hopefully I'll have the car back from paint by the end of the week...going to a Porsche red...

Guest Anonymous

Ah rats, I wanted to paint mine red, can't have two hybrids red in the same area though...(I don't need that kinda heat, you make em mad, I get pulled over haha) :D I'm still trying to think of a color, I'm thinking that stealthy looking black primer when I'm ready, that always looks tough. Maybe thats it, just this dull black car.. :D

Regards,

Lone

i just got my body kit too but i plan to paint mine the same color as your z awd92gsx.That copper color that the first 240 was i like that color and it was the original color of my car.That turbo did come from turbohouse(mjm turbo) so your prolly right lockjaw.I still haven't gotten it yet but should be here really soon.

Scotty, Sorry to go back to the same subject... I think the best way to find out what's the characteristics of your turbo is to call a turbo shop.

I've done a lot of reading on this forum when I researching what turbo to go with. A few people told me to go to Majestic Turbo (majesticturbo.com) and ask for Kevin. I was told he is familiar with the turbo setups with Nissan so I got my turbo from him.

The turbo Kevin recommended to me is .57 trim stage III .63 a/r Matt has the same turbo configuration on his Z31 and is making 357hp/421tq at rear wheel on only 16lbs of boost. http://www.hybridz.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=000002 looks like the picture of the dyno results are gone :(

My turbo didn't need a spacer

zspeed_1019364937.jpg

Guest Anonymous

RON,

that's pretty much the exact trim/AR I was looking at getting. I also looked at majestic for my turbo, this may be a little rude but I apologize, how much did you pay for it? That turbo would fit my needs perfectly. I'm also hoping to make about 300+ rwhp. Perhaps you could email me if you don't want to post about it, I'm interested in learning how it worked out for you.

-980mak rockon.gif

damn ron that thing is beautiful hail.gif I will see when it gets here then i can measure everything and you guys can help identify things if you don't mind.I will probably need the spacer but i'm not sure yet.Also on mine it has that lip on the intake side of the compressor is there a way to take that out and make it all smooth and everything?

Thanks Scotty for the complement.

980MAK... I don't remember exactly how much I paid, either $650 or $675? I just know I paid extra to make the wastegate hole bigger and put a bigger flap so I would get less boost creep or none.

So far I like the turbo a lot. It start's spooln pretty quick and is loud. It's louder then my stock turbo at 5.5 psi with my new turbo only at 0 PSI. I haven't gone over 5.5 psi yet so I couldn't tell you how it feels over all.

Guest Anonymous

5.5 psi?

That's birdfeed! :Dtongue.gif

Is your setup intercooled and are you planning on turning up the boost?

I figure the most my system will ever hit would be 20 psi, although I'm plotting it out to max 18 psi with some "room." Its good to hear some more + feedback about majestic, I'll probably end up ordering from them. That's quite a reasonable price, cheaper than t'netics, or the chancey ones from ebay (no offense scotty, I think you got a good deal, I'm talking about numbers more than quality). Can't wait to get my setup done and filled in.

-980mak rockon.gif

Originally posted by 980mak:

5.5 psi?

That's birdfeed! :Dtongue.gif

Is your setup intercooled and are you planning on turning up the boost?

I figure the most my system will ever hit would be 20 psi, although I'm plotting it out to max 18 psi with some "room." Its good to hear some more + feedback about majestic, I'll probably end up ordering from them. That's quite a reasonable price, cheaper than t'netics, or the chancey ones from ebay (no offense scotty, I think you got a good deal, I'm talking about numbers more than quality). Can't wait to get my setup done and filled in.

-980mak rockon.gif

Oh I forgot to mention 5.5 psi only because I'm breaking in the turbo. It currently has less then 50 miles on it. I plan to turn up the boost after 1000 miles unless someone tells me I don't have to break in the turbo.

I have a NPR IC (smaller version, not like scottie GNZ.) I'm using 2.5" manderal bent pipes.

Also I'm waiting for my mercedes 420cc injectors from carparts so I have no worries when I do turn up the boost to 10-12 psi. Maybe higher depending if I'm not leaning out.

Guest Anonymous

Ron,

that's exactly what I figured. Smart idea, anything with bearings needs a bit of a break in period. I've also seen general molybidenum disulphide used for the shaft.. however a good break period always works. I'm eager to see how much power you make with that setup. the carparts reman SEL injectors are a good score at 42 (or was it 43?) bucks apiece. I have some 38# browntop svo's that I got on ebay (four only), if I want to use them I have to find another set to match them. I got them cheap and I do plan on using them. Anyway good luck, and make those 1000 miles go by quick. I know I would!

-980mak rockon.gif

Scotty, I agree on 980mak on keeping the boost low. 7psi is a little high. If you decide not to break it in, I would still change the oil at a 1,000 miles. Also very important, make sure you disconnect the coil wire and crank the motor a few times for 10 sec each time, so... oil will lube the bearings in the turbo and not spin dry when you start it up for the first time.

awd92gsx... I might have to disagree on this one... I also have a DSM and like you probably go to dsmtrader alot. I've been seeing lots of 16G turbo's forsale and notice some of them has low miles and needs a rebuild? For example there's one now for $300 that has only 7K and needs a rebuild. I talk to the guy and told me it needs new seals and has shaft play. 7K is too low to have these problems and I've seen a few of these post come and go.

I do remember a turbo dealer telling me to break my turbo in, this a long time go when I had my RX7 (Turbo). Didn't have to break it in long from what I remebered.

Anyway I think that's cool we have the same interest. I have a 90 GST (commuter car). When it was bone stock I did a 14.9 - slow but not bad for a stock car considering it's suppost to be 15.2. BTW I have a ported 02 manifold, Buchur 2.5" ss dp, 2.5" test, Bucher 3" catback, adjustable fpr and other small tweaks and the free mods - easy 300hp at the crank on these cars. Turbo is stock =( These car's have a lot of potiental, I wanna share to the Z guy's My 90 gst stock bottom end can handle 500hp+ at the wheel with out going internal. What sucks is a few of the 1990 parts are not interchangeable with the 92-94.

ok thanks ron i'll run it at 5 or 6 how ever low it'll go and break it in since i have to anyway on the engine having new rings and such.I showed all my friends here that can personally see the turbo and they are like damn that thing is huge!I said i know wait let me get the stock one.So i bring it in and they are like man you should have no problems getting 11's now in the quarter.I sure do hope so with a good clutch and slicks i think i can too.I just sent the money out to tony for the TB so i can have a nice big tb for all this air to flo thru man i'm getting excited just thinking about it and typing it :D So far it's been nice here and everyone has their nice cars out and mine is stuck sitting at home next to the shed waiting and calling me scotty come work on me :D

RON,

My guess is that the 16G's that you're finding on the trader are victims of clogged oil feed lines (probably one reason they replaced the stock turbo with the 16G).

As long as you use a new oil feed and return line then you shouldn't ever have a problem. The most important thing that I could suggest, though, is the installation of a turbo timer. Without it you get lazy and end up not timing the car down properly.

I just sold my '92 so that I could dump my money into my Z. It had a Griffen FMIC, Frank 4, 550's, etc...If you frequent DSMTalk.com or the Mach V message board you may have seen it.

The only thing I don't like about the '90 is that it has the odd power transistor and the 3 bolt rear end, if you had an AWD. Other than that, the engine is actually better than the late 92 (April+) - 94's.

I've actually just considered running a 4G64/4G63 hybrid (2.4L DOHC turbo) coupled to a Starion tranny in the Z. The long stroke of the 2.4L will give out plenty of torque across the entire RPM range while the head design will ensure plenty of HP, too.

Guest Anonymous

I think AWDgsx hit the head with the hammer on that one bonk.gif

Its exactly true- oil can coke the first time you run the turbo, if its old, dirty, and hasn't had time to cool down (short idling period before shutting off the motor).. turbo timers are so cheap compared to other turbo electronics, that I'd almost go so far as to say that anyone who didn't want to protect their newly built turbo system is insane! Greddy sells a decent unit for $90, and that's about as expensive as they'll get. They can be controlled for idle time and everything. It will seem weird for the first while, disengaging the key and hearing it still run. Like I said earlier, make sure you check the oil going in and out of the turbo (or new lines, if you will).. your turbo WILL go out at 8k it isn't lubricated. If you could check for pressure that would be good too. I recall somewhere stating that oil pressure through the turbo shouldn't be in excess of 18 psi, if memory serves me.. (and sometimes it doesn't :rolleyes: )

-980mak rockon.gif

I agree on the oil line, that's why I bought a new one. I alway's use a timer on both my turbo cars. I could of swear someone told me to break the turbo in and as I think about it more I remember on 100 miles? I'll call Majestic and find out if it's needed or not.

I haven't called Majestic yet, but yea alway's start with low boost and work your way up.

Bill, Just curious what made you decide to sell your Eclipse. With the stuff you listed, that's a high 11 second car with street tires. I'd would have keep both, just curious are you going v8 or turbo charging with a l28et?