HybridZ

Apex Engineered suspension and brakes

I'm going to be running Apex Engineered's suspension on my 280z (already have it).  I'm wanting to run 15" wheels all the way around.  It doesn't appear that 370z brakes will fit in 15" wheels, which is what the kit was designed for.  Does anyone know what brakes I could run to be able to run 15" wheels?

He sells front and rear wilwood kits and states "fits under most 15" wheels" as well as providing a fit template you can test. The front appears to use 300x32mm rotors which are commonly used on brake kits with 15" wheels, the rears look like 290mm 84/85 300zx turbo rotors.

Yeah I did see that.  I'm hoping to find a cheaper OEM solution like the common Z32 brake swap.  I did find this adapter for using Z32 brakes on a 370Z: https://bleedingtarmac.com/products/broken-motorsports-nissan-370z-z34-z33-g35-g37-rear-gravel-dual-brake-bracket-kit

Also, from some more research on the Apex brake kit it looks like its hard to fit even 16s on depending on the wheels.

Edited by Apex

Z32 front rotors are 5 lug 280mm OD, 240sx rear are 258mm OD. The Z32 calipers are dual 40mm pistons and the 240sx rear caliper is 38mm with a built in parking brake mechanism. The balance would be pretty close to stock 300zx with a bit more front bias since the Z32 has a 297mm rear rotor with the same 38mm caliper piston. I doubt anyone makes a brake kit utilizing these parts, but adapters could be made if you have the skills/tools available. Sorry I can't be of more help.

7 hours ago, Apex said:

Yeah I did see that.  I'm hoping to find a cheaper OEM solution like the common Z32 brake swap.  I did find this adapter for using Z32 brakes on a 370Z: https://bleedingtarmac.com/products/broken-motorsports-nissan-370z-z34-z33-g35-g37-rear-gravel-dual-brake-bracket-kit

Also, from some more research on the Apex brake kit it looks like its hard to fit even 16s on depending on the wheels.

Are you ordering this kit and the matching front kit? Seems like it solves your issue perfectly 

17 hours ago, calZ said:

Are you ordering this kit and the matching front kit? Seems like it solves your issue perfectly 

I might, haven't decided yet, but it does seem like the best solution at this point for my goals.

What wheels are you wanting to run? If they're low offset with lots of dish that gravel rally front brake kit won't work, probably the same with the rear. They mention running 25mm spacers to gain clearance for the calipers and using a +35 wheel. Based on the wheels listed on their website that would probably be a 15x6.5 et35. If you are trying to run something like a 15x9 it would need around a +15 offset and +25mm or greater spacers to potentially clear.

I have the 300zx calipers on odyssey rotors and a VW rear caliper with the 290mm 84/5 300zx NA rear rotor with 16x7 et0 Konig Rewinds. There's no chance the 15" konigs would clear front or rear, maybe up front with some big spacers. The front gravel rally brake kit their offering uses rotors with 2mm less offset which would bring the caliper even closer to hitting. Not to mention the caliper was designed for 30mm wide rotors and the 350z rotors are 24mm wide. That's getting kinda iffy with potentially pushing your pistons out. It probably isn't an issue with rally cars because they're constantly being serviced. It might be OK if you had some 1/8" shims cut from AR500 steel and put them behind the pads, but I've never had to do anything like that.

I can try to mock up the 300zx caliper & rotor on your front suspension. I have a model of the caliper and my 16" wheel and a different 15" wheel. I would need you to 

1. Assemble your front hub/strut

2. Measure the distance from the hub face where the rotor rests to where the brake mounts(using calipers)

3. Take a picture of the hub/strut from a distance, zoomed in, with the hub the center of the image, the camera parallel to the hub face, and at least a 12" ruler clamped to the hub

Ditto for the rear if you do the steps above. I don't have a 240sx caliper model, but if my vw caliper fit with a 240sx rotor, then the SX caliper would work.

• Like 1

I can definitely do that but it's going to be a while until I can get the Apex kit back on the car.  Finishing off the required work to finally get the car off the rotisserie for good right now.  I might end up just going with 17s anyway and run the 370z brakes, even if its just for now.  We'll see.

Once I get the Apex kit back on I'll reply back to this thread and we can go from there.  Appreciate the offer!

No worries, I enjoy simple CAD projects.

It doesn't need to be on the car, all I need is the 370z wheel bearing on the strut assembly. I looked over my rear brake setup and I could adapt it to the 258mm rear rotor so it should be easy to do the same rotor on the Apex strut.