HybridZ

Turbo AND Blower

Hi,

I as just throwing around the idea of having a roots style blower and Turbo charger on the same engine being fed through the same intercooler. Basically the idea would be to have the supercharger engadged until the Turbo started making power, and then switch the blower off. The main problem I see here is the air eing blown back through the Supercharger and vice versa...

Any ideas ?

Cheers

89 mr2 hks twincharger kit, they used to run that setup and get more than 300hp on the stock block,

it ran the roots blower that was stock on those cars into a big turbo, the sc would spool the crap out of the turbo and then your rockin.

sport compact car had a twincharged mr2 compete in the ultimate sports compact car contest, i think its overkill but nothings more gratifying than wretched excess.

I saw the sports compact article. I think I still have it laying around. It's been a while since I've read it, but what I remember is that this guys car just wasn't setup right. They said the transition between the two just wasn't correct, very un-natural, and hard to drive. The idea sounds kind of nice on paper, low end boosted torque combined with high end more efficient turbo boost, but as you know if something sounds too good to be true it usually is ;)

If you want torque and a good amount of boost I'd go with the GN engine. It's a good sized V6 and has great potential. A friend of mine has a GN and we were comparing my Supra Turbo to it. We both set our cars to 10 pounds of boost, and we both have about the same mods. The GN had tons more torque and was much more responsive, even with a slightly larger turbo.

You could always turbo a v8, but I think the GN package is just proven so well.

One idea to consider about torque and light Z cars: traction. Turbo lag can be a good thing for us since traction isn't such an issue without gobs of low end torque. The lagged power gets the car moving before boost comes on and gets traction easier.

yeah i dont think the car did so well in the testing, could grip well enough to save his ets.

has to be hard to control and must need at the veyr least a sds or motec managment system and a very skilled tuner to get that to work. i like turbos, i like them even more that ive been watching rally on speed tv, turbo sounds like an old tv tuning, just delightful, never had a turbo in my life would like to try it some day, heck never really had a efi car before like to try that too.

Guest Anonymous

Haha, yeah a 18 cylinder radial... you're killing me... lol. Anyone every been by an old radial running? Some of the early ones actually had the air cooled finned jugs spinning (the crank stayed stationary and the motor turned basically.. weird...) Also they smoke like a bastard when they fire them up from the oil running into the bottom barrels... :D

Anyway, more to the point, unless its a show engine, what would be gained, the complexity and weight would be pretty substantial. For my money a pair of sequential turbo's (small turbo giving boost until the larger turbo kicks in and adds to it or takes over. Or just go with a large well designed and calibrated turbo system and just hang on when the hit comes in. :D

Either way, hope your pockets are deep. REAL deep and lined with green paper. ;)

Regards,

Lone

Hmmm...I guess tuning would be a bit of an issue...

I think that the THEORY of twincharging is much better than that of twinturbo's.

I did a little bit of reading on the subject last night, and it seems that it might be easier to have the SC feeding the Turbo. The problem is though is that once the turbo starts spooling under its own power it will spin the SC rotors too fast. You could get around this though by having some bypass valve so then the turbo would not be pulling air through the SC.....

Totally off the point, but the WWII fighter P47 Thunderbolt used a 2800 CI Prat and Whitney 18 cylinder radial engine with a turbo and blower. The war emergency power rating of 2535 HP was acheived with the water methonol injection and Nitrous on.

I have contacted JTR to see if he has a conversion manual for this.

Lancia made a group b rally car that was supercahrged and turboed. It was wickedly quick and sounded great. It had a buy pass to change over at a preset boost pressure if i remember correctly. I would still get betten buy sraight turbo cars at times so i doubt it was really worth the effort.

Douglas

The money and complication of doing what you propose would be high enough to justify building a 3 liter L6 and buying a trick ball bearing turbocharger. IF you want more torque, just raise the compression some, and run a big intercooler.

Or you could transplant a sohc Datsun V-6 in there and with the correct block, you would have 3.5 liters of displacement.

Lots of options. IMO