HybridZ

Is there a difference btw.....

yo2001

Well, I've learned how you can drop a ZXT engine in without having to run the harness or turbo ECU if that will help.

You can run the turbo setup on the non turbo engine, but I'd limit it to about 5psi on GOOD gas. ANY detonation and the stock pistons are as good as gone.

Well buying new ones is almost as expensive as buying forged ones, so I would step up in that regard. I think you need to find an old turbo engine and go thru it, that would probably be the cheapest route.

There are diff's between NA and turbo dished. The rings in the turbo engine are different and thinner in the turbo and non turbo ZX engines. The ring lands are lower, and I believe there is more material between each one. Also the crown of the piston is thicker and the pin boss is beefier.

I agree with the advice on using turbo versus non turbo pistons. NA ones don't give you much wiggle room when it comes to tuning, as least a cast turbo piston will give you a little. Forged will give you more, but I have heard some pretty wicked detonation on cast turbo pistons that did not blow up the car, and no it wasn't my car. HAHA

I've detonated at 12psi with my L24, which has the stock 30 year old cast pistons and rings. I got out of it right away, richened up or turned down the timing and off I went. No piston damage. I'm sure my rings are pretty tired, but they are still hangen. I'm at 7.56:1 CR

Seems all L series engines were over built by quite a bit, just gotta be on your toes, and watch those gauges.