HybridZ

Can I remove the charcoal canister?

ratedZ

You guys know what I'm talking about. I wanted to know if you could because I've seen a lot of turbo Z's without it and they where able to run their intercooler piping through. I know I could just make a big arse hole on the drivers side and squeeze both pipes including the intake but I think the other set up looks cleaner (hopefully it can clear the stock fan.) Thanks guys cheers.gif

I would say you can do anything you want with the charcoal canister. Might need to plug the lines.

I have the two intercooler lines, plus a 3 in line for the turbo inlet all plumbed on one side and it is cramped. If you put an electric fan on the rad., then you should have better clearance. Besides, I hate that helicopter sound they make when your engine is warm. And if one ever locks up on you, it will drive you nuts.

Rated

removing charcoal canister; looks like you have four hoses coming out. 1). running to AFM to turbo hose; 2). going to intake manifold; 3). runs to or near throttle valve switch; 4). vents back to fuel tank.

I guess just plug each line and see what happens. Kinda concerned about plugging the fuel tank vent line without making sure you have an alternative vent.

I also plan on running my I/C lines same way. I have an electric fan (you have alot more room to route piping with one). I would recomend electric fan. :D

Now I don't know if you have emission control if you will be legal? :confused:

The canister came with the turbo engine...and I'm guessing it's for smogging purposes. Would I be able to still pass smog without this thing? I don't want to remove it if it won't. Some people suggested moving the canister somewhere else....I might look into doing this unless someone here knows for sure that I won't screw my self when it comes time for the sniffer. Thanks. cheers.gif

Why not get an orbital battery and mount it in the "trunk" and use the old battery tray to relocate the charcoal canister. There's nothing asthetically pleasing about gasoline fumes.

Alternatively, you can locate it anywhere along that right side of the engine compartment rearward of the original location. The shock tower has some welded-on brackets on most years and you may have a relay mounting bracket that you could use and move the relays onto a sheet metal panel you make for the rear side of that bracket. DAW

The charcoal canister doesn't hurt your performance in any way. It does contain the car's evaporative fuel loss/emissions, both while running and parked. Do you and your passengers enjoy fuel vapors? Why not keep it, it weighs nothing and makes for a more sophisticated project car whether you're subject to smog tests or not. DAW