HybridZ

Plumbing ???s..Material Options...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey Folks,

I'm setting up the intercooler plumbing, and I'm wondering...should silicone hose be used for the intercooler hard-pipes rather than aluminum? Can there be any benefit (or loss)to the pressure, temperature, and density of the air that has "passed" through the core?

Second thing...Is there a min-max length of the plumbing before there are significant power changes? I ask this ? because I have a Spearco I/C with the inlet/outlets on opposite sides. I may need to pass the plumbing back from right to left(in front of the radiator), then to the TB and T-O4E outlet....and I want the min. amount of pressure loss in the plumbing. But, If I can manage to "drop" to plumbing under the radiator support beam I will run it that way. Here's a shot of my I/C, the inlet/outlets are 2.5", so I could easily "hide" them. ;)

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/hijodea/lst?.dir=/SmackZ&.view=l

Thanks!

SmackZ

Technically, I think the best thing is to use as much mandrel bent hard pipe as possible, and save the silcon for connecting the pieces. The longer your piping, the longer it takes the boost to get to the cylinders, so you may have lag issues

I agree with Lockjaw on the hard pipe thing. My IC only has 2" inlet and outlet, so to minimize pressure drop and length, I ran 2" from my turbo to the inlet, the the outlet expands from the 2" to the 3-1/4" on my TB ASAP. Here is a picture of my install:

intercooler.jpg

My throttle response seems even better than before the IC install. BTW, I used steel - it was cheap - and I just got the pieces back from the plater with a black anti-corrosion oxide finish - they are not going to rust on me.

The silicone hose will strech/expand a little under boost if you've got a lot of it. Kind of like how old rubber brake lines will. Not something you would want to be putting your energy into.

Keep with the smallest diameter pipe as you can for your horse power application. We talked about this in an easlier thread. I think the conclusion was that if you were making under 250hp then 2" pipe is the way. You will definately be making more. You'd have to find the thread, either 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" should be good for your setup.

I'd show ya a picture of my setup, but it seems my image server is down!

Guest Anonymous

Hey SleeerZ and Tony how in the world did you hook up the fans electronicly?? This seems do be a better idea than what I had in mind. How big of a fan(s) am I looking for?? :confused:

Thanks, Mark

when i put an i/c in my i probably will use steel mandrel bends from summit then have them coated with a thin coat of that truck bed coating for looks and insulation.i have a mig welder-i dont want to try aluminum.but i have some i/c tuubing out of ford powerstroke truck engines.