HybridZ

Latham Superchargers

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Has anyone heard of this company before? I was told by a friend that this was one of the only companies that produced a blower that you could turn on/off from inside the car using a switch.

Guest Anonymous

Latham Supercharger Co

31166 Via Colinas

Westlake Villafe VA 91362

818-889-0605

i found this on a website, let us know what you find, im interested too.

Guest Anonymous

its actually a super efficient belt driven axial supercharger that is controlled by a solenoid like the starter motor. these things haul ass and provide well over 15psi. im looking into custom making an intake manifold so i can run a latham and a good MPFI system. and when you just feel like going out for groceries you can turn off the blowrr and save some gas.

Guest Anonymous

I was told that this was the supercharger used in The Road Warrior, don't know it to be true but if it really works and I can get it under my hood W/out a humongous scoop I think I'm gonna try it.I really like the idea of being able to turn of the blower when I don't need it, also makes for a great sleeper imagine the look on the faces of the Vette owners when you run them down from 4or5 car lengths.

I think what Zrossa meant was, does the air flow flow parallel to the axis of rotation (as the common axial flow jet engines do)with numerous stages of compressors, verses the very common paxton centifugal superchargers and the normal turbochargers do when the air is thrown outward radially from the axis centerline to compress it.

Guest Anonymous

i believe roots type or a twin screw type superchargers are axial flow. centrifugal superchargers work just like their name, using centrifugal force to push the air outward.

Maverick - depends on the blower manufactuer. Straight 4-71, 6-71 etc. Roots blowers didn't use vanes that had a twist to them - they were simply paddles I believe. Those have an open plenum below them full length for the forced air. I'd say those were NOT axial. Something like an Eaton however would be axial - opening at one end for inlet and an opening at the other end for outlet as I recall.

I was pretty sure Latham went out of business and have only seen a few of their blowers. Are they back with the same blower or is someone using their name for something else?

I expected to get better results from a search but there are a couple of pics. Of a Latham supercharger at the bottom of this page http://members.tripod.com/lyc_42/fordv8/yblock/yblock.htm One of them shows it disassembled and you can see the jet turbine like vanes.

BTW, I think I was wrong about the four Carter YH carbs - looks like it probably was only two. Ahhhhhhhhhh another senior moment!

Guest Anonymous

Called, or tried to, Latham today and they don't exist at the # listed above and they don't have a listing anywhere in VA. If anyone else knows of another company that has this type of blower please let me know.

In the 50's latham superchargers came in two flavors: one with 2 carter side draft carbs and the other "competition" model mounted 4 side draft carters. In 1958 one of our club members ran a competition latham on a 283 csb in a Cameo Carrier (Any body remember those?). In comparison to McCulloghs (Now paxton) blow through bonnets, it was a trouble fee unit with no problems for the 2 years i was associated with the club. Very efficient for the time. Generally Macs would add 9-10 mph in the 1/4 and knock off 1 second on et. The latham knocked off slightly more 1 second, but was worth 12 mph. This was at Minden, NV and 4,000 feet. The Lathem was resurrected in the mid 80's (Hot Rod did a test on a carbed Camero). The second version had a totally redesigned volute (The intake portion) The second owneer of the company now lives in the Chatsworth area in California. I spoke to him about 9 months ago. He still has some parts and seemed to be willing to sell his dyno mule. I have about 80% of the pieces for a csb and am looking for the other 20%. Neat unit lots of WOW potential for street rod.

Guest Anonymous

Does anyone know the year and month amd magazine of a comarison of superchargers came out in(By far as I recall the Latham killed everybody else)

It is driving me crazy trying to find it!!!!

• 6 months later...
Guest Anonymous

Found it

petersens"Engines" hot rod series#3 June 1993

400ci smalblock

9psi boost 600hp @5500 rpm

575ft/lbs @ 4700 rpm

It would be cool to see the lamtham inside a tpi setup for very low hood clearance