HybridZ

L28ET Manifold Porting

speeder

I'm looking for some pointers on porting a stock turbo manifold. I've heard talk about smoothing and blending the area behind the turbo flange, and am also wondering what can be done with the manifold's weirdly shaped ports.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Well I think extrude hone is about 550 bucks, and their is no question they can work some majic on the manifold.

I think you are on the right track with what you planned. I think there is a little lip in there behind the flange that I would make sure I smoothed out.

The ports are funky shaped I think mainly to give clearance to the mounting bolts. I had planned on working on those on my T4 flanged manifold, but decided against it. To much work.

Stick your finger in the turbo flange and you will see that cylinders 1-4 enter the turbo through 1 small opening. About 3/4" to 1" of material can be removed from that area on the top side. You will understand what I mean. Also, port each opening. I spent about 4-5 hours porting my manifold. Alot can be done.

Thanks James-

I'll be porting next week after a weekend trip with the wife - Don't you hate it when you have a project going and have to take breaks for the obligatory family stuff?

Once again, I appreciate all the good help and advice. hail.gif

Originally posted by Lockjaw:

Uh oh, I think mine is going to have an appointment with a grinder or dremel. :D

I have not ground my manifold at all. Free power here I come. Now all I need is a turbo.

I got some air tools and carbide cutters. Sooo you need to come and use it!

Originally posted by Lockjaw:

Well I think extrude hone is about 550 bucks, and their is no question they can work some majic on the manifold.

Well, there's no question that they can work some magic on you wallet - but I think there is a big question as to their price/performance.

I have yet to see any dyno comparisons that unequivocally show more than ~1hp difference. Okay, maybe on some really badly cast stock manifold somewhere, but I have serious doubts as to whether this actually works measurably better than a decent manual porting/smoothing job that you could do by yourself for free.

Greetings from the New York Catskills.

Ive heard the same about extrude hone - not worth the money unless you need every ounce of improvement possible. Concerning my wallet and that kind of magic, I should be known as Merlin. The wallet is magical enough. :D