HybridZ

When is something considered too big?

auxilary

bigturbo.JPG

DavyZ picked up this sucker a little while ago, so we took pictures of it with various things for comparison

bigturbo2.JPG

unfortunately, we couldn't find the tape measure or a ruler, so we used various things to demonstrate size comparison (don't take this out of context!). The inlet is 3.5" in diameter, and that shiny thing on top is a quarter

bigturbo3.JPG

Side view of the turbocharger, with a regular size bottle of wine next to it

bigturbo4.JPG

exhaust ports.... the little toy guy is holding the same quarter in his hands.

Cripes this thing is big---which is just right for a V8!!!! :D

At least the turbo is new and was relatively cheap. It may need modification and will need a wastegate & blow off valve, but I think it will do just fine (me in my ignorance saying that). The Sanderson shorties that I bought from zfan (Mike) will be mounted upside down with 90 degree elbows going back to the turbo. This puppy will sit most likely in the area where the battery is, but I'll have to work out logistics with my buddy, Lone.

FYI, the turbo unit inlet measures 3.5" and the exhaust outlet measures a little over 4.0"---the whole shebang is 13" end to end. Arg, a 4" downpipe is not what I'm looking for---hopfully this will not mean a 4" exhaust system. I'm wondering if I can get away with my 3" mandrel bent system???? :confused:

Still, this unit is too much for the present motor I have. I have to build up a 355 with a forged bottom end and aluminum parts to make up for the weight added by the turbo ('tis a bit heavy). Anyway, with EFI, this should be plenty for a lil' ol' V8. smile.gif

Thanks to buddy Alex for posting the pics!

Davy

Guest Anonymous

That thing is big, that is actually a HUGE bottle of wine and the guy in the hardhat? Thats Alex actually holding a wooden prop quarter. :D

Regards,

Lone

• 2 weeks later...

i thought that t3/t4 i have laying around loooks big!kind of looks like a turbo form a ford powerstroke diesel.nascar uses oval section exhaust tubing-you might need to run some oval section under trans of car.if it doesnt spool quick enough just do what the honduh guys do-a small shot of n02 at low rpm.you must be going for the darius sideways in 4th action on the freeway.nothing gets a better adrenaline rush better then counter steering at 70 mph.when are you going to come over for your boat ride?