HybridZ

LS-1 OR LT-1 ?????

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am ready to purchase my engine combo for my 72 240z and cannot decide between the ls1 or lt1.

A couple of questions:

I know the JTR kit will work for the lt1, but does anyone make mounts for the ls1?

Also, How would you connect gauges to the ls1?, I was told everything was electronic and run through the main harness.

How do you connect with the ignition switch already in the car (VATS)?

And finally which would be the easiest to install?

Thanks to everyone for their help,

Charlie

icon_smile.gif

The LT1 will bolt in with the JTR setback plates. The LS1 will not.

Both cars use electronic guages. But the LT1 is a Chevy 350 which is a very common engine. The LS1 is brand new and completely different. Much more of a project.

Both cars have VATS and other ECM (PCM, ECU - the computer box) issues. The LT1 has been out longer and the parts and experience are more readily available.

Bottom line is that the LS1 will cost more and be more of a difficult swap.

So, why am I doing it? Always the hard way.....

The LS1 is about 60 LB's lighter than the LT1, and has about 50 HP advantage in its stock form over the LT1. Wiring was prettey simple, but I used the GM crate motor and had no Vats, or o2 problems. The motor mounts I had to make my self, but were fairly simple. Temp gauge I had to drill and tap head to fit Datsun sender. Speedomiter I bought needed parts from JTR and was able to uses Datsun speedomiter, and still retain the VSS for the LS1's computor. It took me 2 months of steady work to make the switch. To me the fuel system was the hardest to setup, but would be the same for LS1 or LT1 EFI.

A word of caution, on using the LT1 engine in your conversion and also do a search as this has been review numerous times in the past. This engine uses the basic 350 block configuration that Chevy has used for 35 + years. On the LT1, the AC compressor is located very low on the passenger side of the block and is definitely in the way when trying to use the JTR setback plate on that side of the block. Some ideas. You will have to abandon the compressor completely and use a delete pulley (GM sells them), relocate the compressor – costly or go without AC. Being from SC, (South Carolina I assume) AC is just about a must, so an alternative mount is needed. At this time, I don’t know if the compressor will even fit between the frame rails and the “horn” that the stock motor sits on (passenger side) is also in the way. So, if you want to keep the AC, one will have to go through lots of gyrations to make it work. The LS1 motor uses a completely different mounting system as mentioned above and you will have to design and fabricate your own motor mounts.

Guest Anonymous

Charlie, if you have the time and means to do the LS-1 go for it! It really is a superior engine and the aftermarket is really coming alive for this engine family. They are light, efficient, and technologically advanced. In five years there will be 550hp versions in sizes ranging from 4.4L to 7.2L hiding under the hoods of Z28's and Firebirds waiting to eat up your garden variety carb'd solid cammed SBC powered Hybridz! We need more fuelie Hybridz to represent our colors in the late model world. Props go out to all you bad ass hombres that have already gone through trials and tribs of doing such a daunting task! Good luck Charlie with the TT398ci LS-1 and 6 speed conversion! flamedevil.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Both engines have their pros and cons, but if it were my Z, I'd do the LT1 over the LS1 any day of the week.

Here is something to ponder;

My Z28 has the following mods: Self ported heads with flow numbers in the 265cfm range, small cam (220ish,230ish IE resp.), headers, MSD, catback, and LT1_Edit (dyno tuned by me).

My friends 98 LS1 Z28 has almost the identical same mods as me, except he has MT1 stage II heads and cam etc.

We lined up at the street races and he beat me by a fenders length (literally, I got it on video) because he got me off the line.

Thought I'd share my experience. icon_smile.gif

Mike

Guest Anonymous

not doubting you... but that would be fun to watch. If you could post or email it I would be pumped. I love to watch any decent race. VROOOM!

jake

Guest super280z

sorry, this was bothering me..

quote:

Originally posted by LONG ROD327 Z:

...In five years there will be 550hp versions in sizes ranging from 4.4L to 7.2L hiding under the hoods of Z28's and Firebirds...

just so you know, umm, the f-body is dead after this production year. sorry to break the news to ya. aside from that, a company called advanced adapters is now making the mounts for the LS1 to be swapped into jeeps and other various vehicles. might check them out. painless is making a harness now that utilizes a completely stock PCM (yes, thats right no computer work necessicary) and Jeromio and Lonestar1 have fabbed up some mounts for the swap wich they would probably be more than happy to share with another Z enthusiast. if i had an LS1 laying around instead of this lousy old outdated LT1, i'd be all over that swap. good luck to you on either one.

i think longrod meant that in five years the ls1 will be more readily accessible and easier to upgrade and make really powerful in the typical means of big bore/stroke combos and we will see this generation and older fbodys with ls1 variants.

ill take the lt1 for the ease of price and install, and put a carb on it.

Guest Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by 73 240:

not doubting you... but that would be fun to watch. If you could post or email it I would be pumped. I love to watch any decent race. VROOOM!

jake

Jake,

I'll send it to you from my work email on Monday. I'm currently staying with a friend (going through a divorce) and his 56k takes too long to send. God I miss my cable modem!!!!! I also have a video of me crushing a modded/stroked 331 Salleen if you're interested. icon_smile.gif

Mike