HybridZ

intermittant smoke

fl327

hey this is a weird one, searched archives couldnt find much. here goes.

the other night im drivning around, and everything is good, parked the car for a little while. went back and started driving again, and all of the sudden large amounts of smoke start billowing out the exhaust pipe, temp is fine, car is idling fine, the smoke begins to hollow out, and after a while, it almost goes away completely. drove the car home without any problems at all, it drives fine, does feel like its lost some power though. this was last night

today im driving and its intermittantly throwing a puff of bluish smoke, but still not acting up, pinging, or even idling funny at all, and there is a visable oil leak on the exhaust manifold, im going to pull of the j pipe as soon as i get home to do some more analysis. i was hoping i had just coked up a large amount of oil in the turbo and burnt it out, but it seems to come and go and the oil is definitely all over exhaust manifold, anybody have an idea whats going on? im thinking either comp or housing on the turbine seals are leaking. anyone?

Guest Anonymous

Turbo seals perhaps, but what worries me is you said its down on power. Maybe a head gasket, or worse yet a ring gone south? Has it detonated audibly (not that it can't do it either quickly or without you noticing it). Don't mean to alarm it might be nothing, but I'd check compression across the cylinders and see whats going on. (although you'd expect it to not be intermitant as you say). Just some idea's man, good luck with it.

Regards,

Lone

I had a turbo that went south, and the smoking is part of that. IF you have some wheel contact with the housing(s)that would be your power loss since your boost would be lower due to the contact.

You can check this by turning the turbo shaft with you fingers and listen for any noise at all. If you hear it, that is your problem. If the shaft has some play in it, that is another indicator.

Take of the j-pipe and see if the compressor side is leaking any oil that would blow into the engine. Chances are that you have a bad piston ring seal on the turbine side that is causing oil to blow past the seal and straight into your exhaust stream where it burns and causes smoke. Make sure you do not have any oil on the plugs. If this is your problem it will usually smoke shortly after you start the car(within a minute) and then clear up. Rebuild time if this is the case.

im so happy, the turbo is shot! hey better than having to tear down a motor right?. man headgasket would have made me real upset, man i got a HKS steel hg on the mother right now, i blow that at 8psi-you see me get real angry.

man i wish i hadnt ko'ed that sucker so fast, still runs good, cant drive hard though. no smoke anymore at all, im spoofed, but yeah i got some play in the "cold side" of the turbo. im looking at a t3/t4 on ebay, and a npr, and and and-here we go again.