HybridZ

lean at high rpms

bumble zee

here is my setup, 76 280z with a 81zxt motor, stock turbo, straight out 2.5" exsaust, 76 280z intake manifold, volvo i/c...

i have a problem.. i am running very lean under high rpms... i am at 10#'s of boost. i swapped out computers and it worked fine for a day, but then it starts leaning out again.. its like its learning something... any ideas of what could be wrong??

Your know it's lean from a a/f meter? or you think it's lean from hearing pinging? hmm...

A few things I'd check are knock sensor, spark plugs, and (the longshot) your voltage at the fuel pump.

I'm sure you're using premium gas, but because it's important, I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Oh, and I know exactly what you mean about the car "learning" how to run crappy! My daily driver runs best right after reconnecting the battery, when it goes to factory defaults. This learning process is kinda like public education, the more you learn through it, the worse off you are.

make sure the fuel pressure is up at high revs.i made a mechanical test gauge with a pressure gauge from a bearing supply house and some fittings from hardware store.this is dangerous in terms of possable leaks but i had to know pressure.i have a 77 with 81zxt power.at boost the pressure runs uo to 65 psi.if you have it cutting out after 1/2 throttle or so my problems have been cured by swapping ecm.been through 3 in 80,000 miles.if you got a used engine that wasnt run for a long time have the injectors flow tested & cleaned.i put in new injectors when i did my swap.

it cant be the injectors.. could it?? cuz when the ecu is "fresh" when i swap em out.. the car runs fine.. basically perfect.. then over time, like 3 to 4 days it just starts slowly leaning out. there is something that it is learnign from that is making it dumber. I have replaced the o2 sensor also, no change, a/f guage runs cleaner smile.gif

Maybe you've reached the flow limits of your fuel pump. Not in terms of pressure, but overall flow. Just a guess, you've troubleshot alot of different ideas already it seems.

Originally posted by Cusp:

Maybe you've reached the flow limits of your fuel pump. Not in terms of pressure, but overall flow. Just a guess, you've troubleshot alot of different ideas already it seems.

If the flow limits of the pump are reached, the result is a drop in fuel pressure ;)