HybridZ

Who has worked with the Mitsubisi TD06 turbo?

KG78Z

I am looking for a turbo. The engine I have does not have a turbo it is from a 81zxt. I have been calling around and one our Z friends started telling me about a Mitsubishi TD06 turbo he has for sale. It sounded good and I could be interested but I cannot find any additional info about that turbo. Do any of you have any experience with this turbo and how good do you think it would be. thanks for your help.

KG78Z

Guest Anonymous

are you wanting to install a td06 into a z?? Nothings impossible but you might end up like this kid that strapped a 300z turbo onto his civic and ended up running mid 15's frown.gif Id say 99% of stock turbos were engineered for that specific engine setup. So your risking your time and efort on something that might just suck in the long run.

franklin

Here's my .02 on Mitsu turbo's. First you need to make sure the thing would bolt up to your exhaust manifold.

The other thing is that a garret turbo, which is what comes stock on the Zx is a better turbo. By better, I mean more robust, and there is more that can be done with the garret.

Yes you can get things done to the mitsu, but generally the cost for a hybrid mitsu is higher than a hybrid garret, and the hybrid mitsu is going to be using the garret compressor wheel, so why not just get a garret?

I'm not sure, he told me but I was getting so much info that I forgot sorry. Anyway the price for the turbo and down pipe was $800.00. Since I do not have a core to exchange the prices I have been getting for a hybrid turbo have been high and I thought if this was a good set up to run hey I would have a good turbo and something different. If you check one of my old topics it will have the guys name and phone number in it.

KG78Z smile.gif

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

Its a TDO6 with a 20G compressor, it bolts up to the stock exhaust manifold (Ill throw it in the deal)the down pipe is supplied but you will have to fabricate a portion of it to your car oil feed is a standard NPT fitting return line is supplied with internal wastegate...easy install. Performance...this turbo came on GMC Syclone/Typhone 4.3 turbo I bought it new and installed it on a customer car that is now becoming a VG30 with a TO4 set up. I upgraded the 17C to a 20G(NOT A GARRETT WHEEL) on rebuild, this turbo makes 650CFM double what a stock T3 makes and response is awsome turbo lag is minimal because of Mitsubishi's superior wheel and housing design. Drawbacks...if your making more than 400hp it will need a external wastegate, you will overboost if your making madd power with this thing 25-35psi, but you will make madd power and early in the rpm range. I've used this turbo on quite a few Z's and will again if a street car comes up in the future. The guy is...

Alex Costa

Precision Machined Engines

1-800-665-0405