HybridZ

boost guage reading Q?

ZR8ED

I have a boost guage on my 280 that reads in psi.. ie 18psi of boost right now.

Q. I had a Greddy boost guage offered to me (reg price $229.00) still in box for $50 Prob is it reads in another format.

ie .5 - 2.0 not sure the units of measurement.

what is the units, and how do I convert it to psi (which I can relate to..)

I want to put it on my 300zxt, as the stock guage is ****. Currently the 300zxt is boosted to approx 9-10 psi.. not sure.. that is why I need the guage... not sure how the other guage reads. if it reads .7, I would not know what that meant?

bonk.gif

Thanks,

Well, almost. 1 atmosphere is 14.7psi, 1 bar is 14.5 psi. Don't ask me why.

The other thing is that often, when gauges display in bar, they are in units of absolute pressure, instead of relative pressure.

Relative pressure is the pressure difference between atmospheric pressure (~14.7psia) and the manifold pressure. This is what 'boost' is measured in. 18 psi of boost means the manifold pressure is 18psi higher than atmospheric pressure, or ~14.7 + 18 = ~32.7psia.

The easy way to tell which kind you have is that absolute pressure is always positive, so if your gauge reads a positive number at idle (say ~0.5), then it is reading absolute pressure. If it is a negative number (say -0.5), then it is relative.

An easy way to tell if it reads absolute pressure is to check the reading with the engine off. If it is absolute pressure gauge it will read 1.0 bar or 14.7 psi. If it is reading 0 bar with the engine off, it is a differential gauge like most boost gauges. Hey - why the no show at drag day this year - I'm an OZC member who was looking for some turbo competition this year. They only other turbo car was that 280zx/GNX running in the 9's. Not quite in my league.

later - Doug