HybridZ

cartech turbo kit and Mikuni carbs

Sam280Z

Hi Sam

Joel here just to the west of ya, "Lake Charles". Last year sometime, I spoke to Corky Bell and convinced him to dig through his archives and send me anything to do with the kit you just mentioned. He pakaged me up some of the original paperwork from his kits he used to sell. I read through it and still have it if you want it.

He does still sell some of the peices and parts from what he told me "then".

Send me a p/m and I'll get back with you...... :cool:

Guys,

Just probing to see if anyone has any experience with the Cartech turbo kit that blew through 3 Mikuni side drafts. I have two sets of these carbs (IOW, six carbs and 2 manifolds) and a complete 280ZX turbo engine (with fried computer). I would be interested in setting up the turbo to blow through the carbs, but can find no info on basic jetting, cautionary tales, reliability, gas mileage etc... I just remember the ads in the Jim Cook catalog that promised 300hp.

Are any of the components still available? Where?

What size turbo did the kit use?

What was the jetting?

How did it handle fuel pressure?

Another thing; the castings on these carbs are pretty porous. The aluminum soils easily and is hard to clean. One of the sets of carbs I own is brand new. Is it feasible to plate (if so, with what?) or powder coat them to keep them looking nicer than the set I'm using right now?

Thanks in advance,

Sam

I've thought about converting the triple side-drafts to throttle bodies by gutting the carbs and adding bungs and injectors, after I originally thought I'd do a blow-through setup.

I have a brand new Cartech triple side-draft plenum which I waited a long time for them to make because they had to dust off the molds and wait until they had enough orders to cast several at the same time. That was about 10yrs ago. DAW

Guest JAMIE T

Ya know, I'd like some info on this also. Blow through turbo with triples looks awesome. It may not be the most effective means of turbocharging, but dang it looks nice. I've heard the sidedrafts are only good for about 7-8 lbs/boost. The older Wangon Midnight car has a blow through turbo set-up.

I've wanted to do a triple sidedraft blow -through setup ever since I've been working with L28 turbos. Very cool looking rig.

Several companies (TWM among them) sell throttle bodies with Weber DCOE mounting flanges - Somewhat pricey (250.00 each the last time I checked).

Don't know if the Cartech Mikuni blow - through plenum will bolt up to the venturi side of a Weber, however.

Sam-

I ran a Mikuni blow through system for 8 years. They are very tricky to dial in. I haved since converted to a TWM throttle bodie/TecII system.

A Mikuni blow through system generally can not run more than 10-12 lbs although I was able to run at 14 because I sealed the carbs. If you run at that level you will need to constantly watch for failure of the float bowel seats. The trick with tuning the Mikunis is to find the right immulsion tube. Jetting depends on cam, head, exhaust, etc. You need to use a Malipressi (sp?) boost sensative fuel pressure regulator with fuel return before the carbs. You also need to run an ignition system that has a boost sensative retard like the MSD system. Lots to talk about. Send me an e-mail and I will give you my phone number.

Good Luck

TimO

By the way watch our for that guy from La, Joel, he used to be from California!!!

Originally posted by TimO:

I haved since converted to a TWM throttle bodie/TecII system.

TimO how do like the TWM / TECII setup, and how relaible is the set up? I've Seen several of these setup but were unable to talk with the owners. I'm reseaching this setup, and turbo, and proper turbo cam(etc,...), Or opt. for an complete Engine Swap with RB25/26.

Thank for any Infomation.

Jason

Shreveport,Louisiana

Yeah it would look cool, but I'd recommend following the path that the Nissan Engineers layed out for you in 1981 if you want to go turbo. ;) I can't think of a single advantage to having carbs with a turbo setup over efi with a turbo setup... unless its looks, and even that is debateable.

On the other hand, I think most of us here totally understand if you just want to do something unique!

TimO,

What kind of HP were you getting at lower pressures (~8psi)?

I see that you mention using the correct emulsion tubes. Were you running 44s or 40s. It is my understanding that the 44s do not have emulsion tubes.

I too have considered gutting the carbs and running EFI (even thought about hiding the EFI inside the carbs. Is this feasble?)

I see that there are quite a few people from the bayou state in here. I just want to mention that we have a LA Z club. Its a little informal, but has quite a few good people. We have three chapters; New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and Lafayette. The Baton Rouge chapter meets last sunday of every month at Georges Southside on Highland road.

Sam

Sam-

The Mikuni's I ran were 40's so they had immulsion tubes. Not sure of the hp I was getting at 8 psi but it was pretty fast, much faster than a Mustang 3.0 for comparison. If I were you I would not spend the time and money to convert the Mikuni's to EFI by modifying them to accept fuel injectors. I would sell the Mikuni motor and build a 280zx turbo motor. The amount of hp potential is far superior, drivability is much better, and by comparison the cost can be about the same as the blow through system depending on the engine management system you choose.

I'll send you my phone number and lets talk.

Regards

Tim

Jason-

Hey Jason if you are considering the TWM's by all means do it. They are a pretty much hard core high horse power injection system but when set up properly they are very streetable, extremely responsive, and low maintenance once set up. There are enough of us running TWM's to give you a solid set of basline settings such as the acceleration calibrations. I don't know that TWM'make more hp in the mid range but properly matched to the right cam in a high flowing head, they can help make a lot of torque in the upper ranges. There are a lot of advantages of individual throttlye bodies. That is why BMW is able to make so much hp from their new M3, they are using individual throttle bodies.

You will hear a lot of guys complain about the TWM's being difficult to tune and are too big to be responsive...I can tell you that I don't have those problems. I haven't put my 72z on a dyno yet but it's pretty quick, somewhere on the scale of mid to low 12's. If you want to talk specifics send me an e-mail and I'll send my phone number.

Regards

TimO