HybridZ

Who's running open chamber?

yo2001

On turbo motor? I'm starting to build my turbo motor and I'm thinking about altering the P90 close chamber to an open chamber head. (I'm thinking about 60cc+) because I'm going to run small dometop forged pistons. (I need the clearance and good quinch.) What do you think?

Also, Anybody running the copper beryllium seats?

My plan is to use:

30mm wrist pin height pistons

137-138mm rods (custom)

L28 polished crank

Altered P90 (small port job, open chamber, SS polish valves, cooper seats, and small cam)

Stock turbo (for now)

L28ET ECU

HKS IC

Guest Ian turbo240

Yo,

I think the consensus here is that the P90, P90a, and N42 heads work pretty well with forced induction. You can make more of a power increase with bolt-ons rather than head mods for the same money. The P heads have a good quench area already designed into them. If you're using custom pistons, then have the dish shaped similarly to the combustion chamber for increased "squish". This helps force the compressed mixture toward the spark plug which also aids in reducing detonation. You stated that you are going to use the stock turbo. My advice would be to take the money you would spend on the head a buy a bigger turbo. This will be a much bigger HP increase than the head work. Good luck!!!

Ian

Originally posted by denny411:

Yo, how`s the engine look on the inside? Better or worse than you expected?

Well, blown head gasket, water in the head and the block, rusted cam, and couple seized melted pistons and rusted rod. :D Other than that, it was well worth what I paid for. I think I can save the block after honing and the rods would be ok after polishing (If I'm actually going to use them) The head is mint. condition, never have been shaved.

I thank you for all that you do for me. It was what I was expecting so I'm happy with it.

Originally posted by Ian turbo240:

Yo,

I think the consensus here is that the P90, P90a, and N42 heads work pretty well with forced induction. You can make more of a power increase with bolt-ons rather than head mods for the same money. The P heads have a good quench area already designed into them. If you're using custom pistons, then have the dish shaped similarly to the combustion chamber for increased "squish". This helps force the compressed mixture toward the spark plug which also aids in reducing detonation. You stated that you are going to use the stock turbo. My advice would be to take the money you would spend on the head a buy a bigger turbo. This will be a much bigger HP increase than the head work. Good luck!!!

Ian

Well, the head work isn't going to cost too much because I got an access to all the equiptments that I need to do all that. See, the thing is I already got the pistons (JE) here and I want to use them. Also, I like to run longer rods for better detonation tolorance and lighter rotational mass set up. (I think the aftermarket CM rods are lighter than stock even though it's going to be longer)The stock turbo is to just break in the motor and get it tuned in good until I can get a aftermarket ECU. I know I'm being difficult but I don't need this any time soon, I still got a N/A that runs pretty decent.

BTW, I'm just bring up a new topic for a L28. I know it can be done but I'm not sure that it has been done on a street motor. I'm just looking for a opinion or suggestions. Thanks Ian