HybridZ

dynoed my little crap box today

SHANE

Bob, yes the wideband was at the tail pipe.

James, i was only using the stock O2 to hopefuly cut down on the dyno time. but that did'nt work at all. narrow band O2's are worthless for tuning. i have an EGT but never look at it. no one has been able to tell me what temps to look for. with the JWT set-up temps would run at 1500-1550 deg.(F)(the car ran for years like that) some people have told me that pistons will melt at 1100deg and others have told me that they run with temps over 1600 deg. my gauge only goes to 1600deg so if i run lean the gauge would'nt show it anyway.

I run 1600F all day long before the turbo on the Greddy EGT. I suppose there will be some discrepancy between EGT manufacturers. That is a peak temp that occurs at the top of 3rd gear. I would say 1575-1600 for short bursts, drag racing, is fine.

BTW, don't be confused, just because the exhaust temps are that high does not mean the pistons are seeing those temps. Remember, the cylinder walls carry away heat via coolant and the pistons are also cooled by the incoming charge.