HybridZ

JCR Supercharger Kits

Guest LedFoot

Guest LedFoot

Hi All,

I'm fairly new to Zed ownership, just recently got a 1975 260 after wanting one since I was 18 (now 28!). I'm looking to give my new toy a heart transplant and wanted to supercharge it.

Now I know a lot of people will tell me to go the turbo option but I'm really keen on the low rev power and don't want to do a huge amount of plumbing in the car with intercoolers etc. I've also been pretty partial to superchargers for a long time anyway :D

One of the options I've been looking at is to fit a toyota SC-14 off a 1ggze motor. I can get them pretty cheap down here in Oz ($400 bucks australian) so for a modest increase in boost (say about 5psi) it is fairly cheap way out.

The other thing I can do is go nuts and get myself a better supercharger and bolt that on. Yella terras have been one I've been partial to (http://www.yellaterra.com.au). But I have found some references to a JCR blower kit and one picture and it looks like a bolt on for the L series engine. My long winded question is, does anyone have any information about this supercharger kit like who sells it, how much does it cost, what comes with the kit, how hard is it to mount, supercharger specs or anything else I should know. I've been searching for a while now and can't find any solid info!!

Cheers!

LedFoot bonk.gifbonk.gif

that nissan-garret T3 spins up fast on low end i think, im getting 10lbs by 3-3.2k and flying with this setup. i dont run anything fancy though, stock efi with a big exhaust and the boost turned up. low end is not a problem.

My club(Ontario Zcar) in Canada has a member which has a JCR on his 240Z. It's running Electramotive Tec-2 and has had extensive tuning and lots of $$ invested. I have an L28 turbo in my 240 with a small IC and SDS efi and IMO I have more power at 8 psi than that supercharger will ever make. It generates a LOT of intake heat and is a little on the small side for the 2.8L. A stock turbo makes full boost at 2.5-2.8K and enough torque to move the car out smartly. That kit was not a big seller for some good reasons. If you want his email - I can look it up for you.

Cheers - Doug

Guest VertexZ

The JCR kit is around $7k AUD. Even the Yella Terra one aint cheap at $3k...

the Toyota unit sound good for $400...what cat is that off?

The other thing is fitting the whole setup.

There is a guy from Sth Aust i think hanging round here or zdriver.com who has/had a supercharged 240/260Z. apparently is wasnt too bad, except a bit lacking in top end. Last I head he was building a super duper turbo motor...

You'd think a s/c setup could be just as cost effective as a turbo though, given that you'd probably need custom turbo manifold etc...i guess it depends on what you're after. I wouldnt mind a s/c though smile.gif

Guest LedFoot

Hey All

FYI VertexZ the SC-14 is off a 1GG-ZE 24V 2.0L straight six Toyota Engine which I think is off a Supra.

I did a bit more research and some calculations and I think I'm going to go ahead with fitting the toyota sc-14 supercharger.

The calculations for the boost are as follows.

SC-14 gives 1.42L per revolution.

L28 requires 1.4L of air per revolution N/A

SC-14 apparently fall to pieces after 12000RPM so conservatively run it at 11000RPM and rev limit the L28 (bored out L26) to 7200RPM. So pulley ratio is 11000/7200=1.527

Liters of air being supplied by SC-14 per revolution is 1.527*1.42L=2.1694L

Ambient air pressure is approx 14.7psi so the air pressure should be 2.169/1.4=1.549 times ambient air pressure.

So boost should be (1.549*14.7)-14.7= 8psi

I'm thinking that conservatively I should see around 280HP to 320HP out of this engine which should give me.... :rolleyes: ..... about 170KW at the rear wheels 2thumbs.gif (taking into account a 25% drivettrain loss).

If it all works to plan it should give me a really driveable street car. Plenty of low down power for taking it off the line and pretty good fuel efficiency. Hoping to light up the back end in the first three gears! :D

So what do you guy's think? Does it sound achievable based on past experience? OR have I been drinking too much lately and lost too many braincells!! cheers.gif

Opinions appreciated

Guest VertexZ

Sounds like youve got the maths figured out...

I guess if youre only paying $400 for the s/c then you *could* do the whole thing relatively cheaply.

What engine wods do you have?

I would be certainly very interested in seeing what you do, maybe even copying it if it works out alright smile.gif

280hp does sound a little high, depends on what engine mods you have at the moment....i think you should be able to get that with headwork/cam etc as well as a s/c...

Guest LedFoot

Currently I have an l26. I'm going to take this out to 2.8L with flat top pistons. I'll need to mill the head cause the pistons protrude a few mm above the deck. I'll take that opportunity to put in 280 valves and better seats/springs and do some port work.

Was thinking about the 3.1L stroker, but it ends up being a very expensive option. Woman in my life would object! nono.gifcuss.gif

I'm also going to fit it with a Motec ems, 65mm commodore throttle body (good position sensor) and all the other sensors needed to get the EFI going.

I don't think that I'm going to intercool it, however I'll leave room to put one in later if I feel it needs it. From what I read it's just on the borderline of being advantageous to throw an intercooler on so it may not be worth the hassle.

Oh yeah, I'm also going to put on a serious set of brakes! (disks all round!).

The only thing I want to do after that is (and i'll swap this convo into the steering forum!) is power steering. burnout.gif

I'm going to be getting the EMS and s/charger in the next couple of weeks, that will give me some time to wire up the car before pulling out the engine and also get some machining done for the nose extension on the S/C. Luckily I have a few friends at work who are automotive mechanical engineers, should help me design up a fairly good front piece and brackets. Just need to find someone to machine it for a decent price!

I'll be doing the whole project over christmas and should have it finished by the end of Jan. So I'll keep you all updated with pics as I go. (should set up the webpage!)

VertexZ, I'm in Melbourne too so when it's done, we should meet up and I can show you the work. Feel free to copy it if does any good! ;)

Guest LedFoot

HEy does anyone know if there is anything special I should do to the exhaust for the supercharger? I was told that I should use a stock exhaust instead of extractors but I'm not sure why. :confused:

Any ideas??

Guest VertexZ

Awesome, cant wait to see the results...I know a few guys here who would also be interesting in seeing it!!!

the stroker is extemely expensive

turbocharging is extrmely expensive

s/c sounds like a good option. at least youve got plenty of backup.

as for powersteering, check the brakes/susp/chassis forum for a thread on powersteering in the last month or so. There should be a couple of photos of my 260Z which has power steering fitted. I think is a 280zx rack, not 100% sure on that though as I bought the car like that.