HybridZ

350 sbc power (lack of)

Guest zfan

I tore into the engine and the engine builder had the cam in way out of whack. I degreed the cam back in and swapped intakes and the car went from 13.89 in the 1/4 to 12.30's. Nor bad for reistalling a roller cam and intake swap.

I am running the same roller cam, lifters, intake, etc on my 383 and it went 10.80 at 125.

Man that seems like a lifetime ago!

Mike

Really, when they could call you and have it done right the first time!

I would think that more hybridz'ers wanting an engine would just call the ol' grump or BRAAP, seeings how that's what you guys do these days.

But I can't imagine building an engine and not degreeing the camshaft!

I don't believe the combo is mismatched.

The cam specs are in line for a stout 350-383 combo with 10.4-1 compression. The heads are better than what many have used.

I know of a combo that is running a very similar setup that is pushing a 1st Gen Camaro to LOW 11's.

The dual plane intake and that cam will work well together, both will peak before 7000 rpm even in the 355. The Edel air Gap is good to 7K, and makes more torque across the board than a Victor series does.

I don't really see anything mismatched about the combo, it porbably just needs tuning.

The FIRST thing to check is the timing. This type of combo will want timing, it will want 25+* at idle, and probably 34-36 on top, if he has it setup with the proper WOT timing, it is probably a bit lazy on bottom and throttle response will suffer, especially with a tight converter.

A Z car can use a tighter converter, as the car is so light that a stout motor will get it moving anyway, they can also use a looser converter because they are so light the converter may not flash to it's "rated" stall anyway.

For a mostly street car, I would always err to a slightly too tight converter.

I wouldn't change any parts, I would start with the easy stuff and look at all the tuning aspects.