HybridZ

more turbo education...(kinda long)

Z-Gad

well i'm learning more and more about these things every day it seems. unfortunately, I am learning through the wallet. anywhoo... I am getting the car ready for the Reynold's GA meet. I had another head re-done further lowering my compression, installed a high-po puck style clutch I had made for me, and while removing the turbo from the car I instinctively went for the impeller shaft to check for any play. Well, I had some minor side to side play which was somewhat acceptable, but I had nearly an 1/8th of an inch thrust (forward/aft) play. having had the turbo rebuilt not 1000 miles and maybe 12-15 passes down the 1/4, I took it back to the place I had it rebuilt. After taking it apart they found the thrust bearing was shot. I said "How can this be?" and found my answer. They asked what kind of boost pressure I was running and I told them 20+ pounds. Herein lay the problem. The "bargain" turbo I bought wasn't made to run that much boost. There is a small plate inside the center section of the turbo which holds the thrust bearing in place. In the less expensive turbos (like mine), it is held in place by a couple of pins. When one (meaning me) tries to run or runs 20+ pounds of boost pressure, this plate lifts and allows some of that pressure into the center cection around that thrust bearing, not allowing adequate oil cooling and consequently burning out the bearing. The more desirable, higher boost turbos have a thrust collar installed. This thrust collar and backing plate are drilled, tapped and bolted in place instead of held in place by a couple of pins, securing the plate so there is no lifting. some of the better factory turbos (like the GN) have these installed, but they run like 12 pounds from the factory.

Just thought I'd share the wealth I am gathering, so maybe some of you won't have to learn as I. Since this info was explained to me and my memory is about as long as my you know what...

I may have left some of the details out. If anyone cares to elaborate on my findings, please do so smile.gif

Guest JAMIE T

Thanks Z-Gad, that IS valuable information. I think I'm gonna save up some coin and get a new turbo from Turbonetics, or another reputable(Majestic) high performance turbo supplier. I certainly can't afford to keep having a bargain turbo rebuilt every year. Thanks for the heads-up.

Also, I forgot to mention, the fix for the "bargain turbo" is to have a collared thrust bearing section installed ($150-200 for the parts), which I am currently doing. Hopefully, it will be ready tomorrow. I so wish i would have done my research, discussed my options w/ someone like Turbonetics, and spent the money in the first place and bought the correct turbo. It would have saved me a significant amount of money (I am now up to 2 rebuilds on top of the initial purchase price). Also, the shop owner was quick to point out that the hybrid turbo i was running was fine for up to around 15 pounds of boost, somewhere after that is where the unit becomes unstable.

You should spend the money and get a bolted down 360 degree thrust bearing. You are likely getting a 270 degree bearing which is still bolted down and better, but the 360 degree on is the only way to fly.

Most of the time unless you specify a 360 degree bearing, or one bolted down, you won't get it.

hmmmm you know that could be my problem z gad hey does yous have a water cooled section in it?I have to pull my turbo apart and see what i got cuz my bearings are bad too but i did have the car stall alot when it was hot.The ic pipe blew off alot and it killed the engine letting the poor turbo get hot without any lube or water :eek:

it still works fine just had a whine to it in the car( no not turbo whistle ;) ) I had the ic piping blow off too much and it kinda heat soaked the turbo making it not last as long.It still worked great up til the day i pulled the engine but it seemed to wear out quick that's why i was asking.I'm gonna check mine to see what kind of bearing it has inside and everything else, I don't even know the trim and everything else.I just know the exhaust a/r and the turbine housing a/r.Hey i am getting timz's ic tho and a haltech engine management system rockon.gif The car should be haulin a$$ this year(i hope)