HybridZ

need hepl hooking power transistor up

Ivan280zt

this crap is so frustrating. ok today i got turbo power transistor (actually i borowed it) and i also bought msd ss blaster coil. so this is what i need. i know how to hook up ss coil (just power and ground very simple) but how do i hook turbo power transistor to 77z wiring harness i mean which wire goes where all i know that it has four wires in it (two in two out) but where do i hook those wires up. i am just trying to get my car ready for SEZS 2 and this is slowing me down big time with work and gym taking all my time i have to drive almost 25 min in one direction to work on my z and its all getting to me but i be damn if i give up (ok i had to let it out) so if anybody know what the heck i am talking about any info would help for sure.

Ivan

ign.gif

YW(Yel-wht) is trigger signal from the ECU.

BW(blk-wht)is switched 12V from ignition switch.

L(blue) goes to coil -.

the ground wire should be black.

Looks as if all 3 years had the same wire colors and hookup for the transistor.

Good Luck!

Oh yeah, the left hand connection to the coil in that diagram is the negative and right hand is positive.

MSD SS is a good choice for a coil.

We need less luck when we get the right help- This board has saved my sorry butt many times.

ok here we go. the blue wire goes to the coil negative (and the tach) the black/white wire goes to the coil positive.

Now the power transistor bracket (transistor housing) gets grounded to the chassis of the car. on the connector ! - where the exclimation mark gets switched 12 volts from the ignition switch (you can check to make sure you have the correct wire by ohming to the black/white wire on the coil and it should have clost to zero ohms, the wire is just fed through the plastic mount. The wire that is the dash on the connector gets hooked to the ECU trigger. I dont have my manual here so I cant tell you the pinout. That is how it is hooked up.

hope that helps you out

update

hooked up power transistor to coil everything went fine second time (first time fusible link paid the price malebitchslap.gif but i stole one from jtaylors orange z i just hope that he dont notice that lol). so here is good and kinda confusing news. first of all i said that there were four wires on transisor. so here we go. first i hooked up black and white wire to coil (positive) then hooked up blue wire (negative) to coil. so far so good. next i matched same wires from tranistor to coil (they were same color so that was easy). afther that i took yellow wire and hooked it up to transisor and finally there is one more wire left on transistor but i am preatty sure that is for tach signal (black wire). now i have few questions. first of all when i turned key on (2/3 of the way) i took test light to make sure that coil was getting power and positive said was lighting up (obiously getting power) and then i tested negative side of coil and it was also getting power so i guess its making full circuit is that right? should they both be getting power when the key is on positive and negative side? now second question. when i turn key 2/3 of the way coil wire comes to life (starts throwing sparks=good news) but should it start throwing sparks when the key is only 2/3 of the way on or should it start doing it when the key is all the way on (when you turn the key all the way to start car). i know that this dont make too much sense but you guys have already hepled me more than i can ever thank you for and if this dont make too much sense just ask specificly and i can get probably jtaylor to explain it better than i can (sucks when english is my second language).

Ivan