HybridZ

lightened flywheel for turbo engine?

Guest Luigi

I did a search and got 2 hits. I'm building a junkyard dog turbo engine and I'm wondering if a lightened flwheel has a place on a turbo car. I feel that it might be helpful for quick spool, might be unhelpful for keeping the engine under a load.

what do you all think? Anyone running on on the street, please chime in.

thanks

luigi

I don't know much about turbos but I know that I was thinking of getting a aluminum flywheel for my LT1 and T56 set up and I was told that the lightend flywheel wasn't good for drag racing because they dont hold up as well as a steel one for that kind of application. I don't know what you plan to use your turbo set up for though?

Guy

Guest 240hybrid

If your looking to get the revs. up quicker, than a lighter aluminum flywheel is the way to go. Their good for autocross and such were you want to get the revs up quickly, and get the back down too. Being lighter the motor can slow it down at a faster pace, than the doubled weight of the stock one. I believe a heavy flywheel is good for heavier cars as so to keep the revs up with a larger rotating mass, which will then launch the car. For street and autocross/salom I would probable go for a aluminum flywheel.