HybridZ

mopar 8 3/4 rear end in a z?????

stony

found one on ebay. My question is a rear end is a rear end when it comes to replaceing the IRS? IS the mopar rear end any good? its the 8 3/4 5 on 4.5 lug drum setup with posi. would i just measure it up and weld on the mounts? or would there be anything special because its a mopar. thanks

shipping will prabably nix the deal but cant hurt to get all the info i can get ;> icon_confused.gif

Guest super280z

Stony,

the mopar 8 -3/4 is a very stout unit that i have had in mind for quite a while. the plus sides to using this rear include the fact that it does not use c-clips and parts are very readily avaliable. the removable center section makes gear changes a snap. it's very similar to the ford 9 but mopar version for those of us that just wont stand to have anything fomoco in our rides icon_wink.gif . keep us informed if this is what you end up going with because i'm eventually going to do this one as well.

Guest Anonymous

Its a good rearend I believe Dana makes them. Lug pattern should be the same as Ford. (and AMC just for trivia icon_rolleyes.gif ). Gearing I'm not sure, I can't recall they're ratios, but know they made a 3.23 ratio which would be a little higher than most of the nissan ones. I'm sure ratio's are not a problem though, there are many ring gears for it.

Mounting shouldn't be any different than any four link setup or what your going to use, its a straight axle just like the rest. Pictures please if you do it. icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

ok hes telling me its 39 inches drum to drum that is almost perfect ;> should be able to get some big meats under the fenders without too much cutting. i think the ss bar setup MIKEKZ is using on his green and black z is gonna work good ;>

Guest Anonymous

do you know what the rear end gear ratio is? i used to own a 74 charger SE. the best car i ever bought. purchased it for 200 and ended up selling it for 600 and a motorcycle. never gave me anyproblems over than rings were starting to go (300,000+ miles with no rebuild!) and the ocasional vaporlock on a hot day. that car is what started my nickname as freak in this town icon_biggrin.gif . i made a highschool girl cry and after that experiance i never had any problems with any body not wanting to buckle up for the ride...heh heh heh flamedevil.gif anyways i was just curious since i know a lot of the late seventies into late eighties came with a fairly high 2.73 ratio (like mine) i always wondered how much of a differance a 3.90 ratio would have made.

with small it is did it come off a dart? or was it shortened? just kind of curious. should make for a nice swap though. if they can handle a hopped up hemi, i don't think you'll have any problems with broken parts. good luck

Stony, I would measure, or mock up something under your car to see what size tire/wheel combo would fit with a 39" drum to drum diff. My diff came out to around 45" and my tire print is around 15" wide. So with a 6" narrower diff you could put prostreet tires under there, but they don't make those in radials.

Guest John Adkins

The nice thing about the 8 3/4 is that it is just like a Ford 9 inch in that there are lots of aftermarket gearsets available in a lot of ratios. Quite a few LSD units are available too.

The center section drops out of the front of the housing just a like a Ford 9" too, which makes it easy to change gears....

As far as I know the narrowest stock 8 3/4 was the early a-body and is about 54" wide.... So the 39" rearend must be narrowed...

Guest Anonymous

If you can make it fit the Mopar 8 3/4" rear is a very nice piece. It has no problem standing up to 500hp, 500+lb. ft. big block engines through automatic transmissions in 3600+lb cars. We Mopar guys stick with it unless we are running a very stout big block and a 4 speed with traction, then we go with a Dana 60.

Oh, by the way, 8 3/4's are fairly common. You can find them in cars, trucks, and vans. I wouldn't pay too much for one on ebay. There is probably a nice one in a junkyard near you, with a Sure Grip and a gear ratio from 2.76 to 4.10.

Guest Anonymous

has mopar ever made any IRS diffs? kinda like ford did with the 8.8 diff? i figure if i ever have to upgrade my rearend it would be nice to make it a mopar unit but i also want to keep it a indapendent setup back there. anybody know of any conversion kits for the 8 3/4 diff to make them a IRS?

Guest Anonymous

Well, there is the Viper. ChaaaChing $$$$$$$. And I believe the prowler, but that had the tranny back there to (transaxle, think new vette like). Those are the only ones I can think of outside of maybe the front end of a later Jeep.

Regards,

Lone

Guest John Adkins

I believe the Viper rearend is a Dana 44.... Didn't Corvettes use a Dana 44 for a while too?

The viper trans is a beefed up version of the T56.... hmm... seems like GM and Chrysler use a lot of the same drivetrain component suppliers...

ouch!!! quoting 550 (includes shipping to alaska) for a 39 inch drum to drum 8 3/4 rear end minus the differential!!! cry2.gif Im thinking i could get one from a junk yard and have it narrowed to exactly what i need for less then that?

are the mopar axle 8 3/4 tapered or non tapered? can i just cut and respline a set or would i need special axles made for the 8 3/4 rear end?

Guest Anonymous

hey good for you stony that sounds like its a pretty nice setup. should work out great. i just gotta ask, so how many ponies are you putting down now? is the RB26dett (its a dett right?) still stock or have you been playing with it.

Guest Anonymous

I run an 8 3/4" 4:88 with 30" tall tire with a six speed. There are several carriers three I believe one of the three isn't advisable to use, some one correct me if I'm wrong, But I think there is a #789 and a #742 and these are the ones to have and one of these has a larger dia. pinion shaft. I have the better of the two but I'm not crawling under there to look. I know my axels are tapered and fat like baseball bats. It's a very stout piece as I have side stepped the clutch at 5000 RPMS and twisted a drive shaft into a pretzel replaced it and no harm done to the third member. I believe my vehicle weighed (with me in it) 3875 lb.s at the time. I think they are just as good as any Ford 9".