HybridZ

440 in a ZX...

BRAAP

• Administrators

Howdy Gang. I am relaying this question for my father who is having trouble posting the forum.

He is about to swap in a Chrysler 440 and auto tranny into his '83 ZX Turbo car. he would like to know if any one has swapped the Chrysler Big Block into a ZX and what issues arouse during the swap?

His name is Ron Ruschman and he can be reached at...

rock52@uswest.net

Thanks gang...

check out ratsun.com, mr. barkley has some screaming ass big block zx and z cars that ravage the street somewhere, i would like t do one, but right now its beyond what i can do without paying someone for some part of the fabup.

bad ass when you open the hood and youre greeted with hemi heads and dual quads i think. (cough) pistol grip (cough)

Guest super280z

Paul,

im glad to know that you post here, you're site was one of the first i studied and compelled me to start my conversion. about you're inquiry,

anything can be done with the right time and money. (as im sure you know) there was a link that i remember about a year ago where someone shoe-horned a 440 into an RX7. but i cant remember where. good luck on that search,

Guest Anonymous

super280z: i have emailed the person you are talking about but it wasn't a 440 it was a 451. but basically for all intents and perposes the blocks are identical on the exterior. very nice guy, he told me that he has built over 8 big block mopar 440 and after this 451 (it was his first) he said he would never do anotheer 440 unless he had to. he said they just rap out very quick and make excellent power. if i was going to do a big block this would be my second choice.

whats my first choice you ask? i've always thought a 528 hemi would be a fun project. too bad they have a prohibitive price tag.

fairady327: pistol grip all the way!!! thats what i plan on running once i get my beast of a project rolling

if mopars werent so dang expensive, youd see me in a drop top hemi cuda plum crazy for sure....

we had one at the shop, pistol grip four speed, 4.10 sure grip, 426hemi with dual quads, that thing was the baddest, people who see at practically bow down at the site of it, and the others wave money at you. so many people were gawking at it at the shop we had to go ahead and say that we werent working on it! it was so gorgeous.

I've always been intrigued by a Hemi swap. A twin-turbocharged 426 would be real nice but wouldn't the weight hurt the handling? These motors have got to tip the scales at AT LEAST 700 lbs. How much would the aluminum blocks weigh? Sure I'd love the power of a forced-induction hemi but keeping the Z's fun-to-drive-ness is a very high priority to me.

they are heavy, but they pay like they weigh, that hemi head makes that sucker put out ridiculous power all the way to the top end, ever look at one with the valve covers out, good lord! the only other motor ive seen that looks that cool is the 351c 4v heads, those things are ridiculous!

Guest Anonymous

if i saw the plum carzy pistol grippin four speed on the street i would have to give her the right of way. man that car was so clean i couldnt bare to sit in her but i DID. b_hand.gif

Originally posted by youngz:

if i saw the plum carzy pistol grippin four speed on the street i would have to give her the right of way. man that car was so clean i couldnt bare to sit in her but i DID. b_hand.gif

YA HEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD

Originally posted by FAIRLADY 327:

quote:

Originally posted by youngz:

if i saw the plum carzy pistol grippin four speed on the street i would have to give her the right of way. man that car was so clean i couldnt bare to sit in her but i DID.
b_hand.gif
YA HEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD

yeah well i dry shifted em stupid

YA HEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDD.

Guest Anonymous

A pistol grip is a shifter tha only Chrysler vehicles came with between 68-72(years might be off??)

The shifter resembles a pistol grip and makes for a very comfortable grip as opposed to the conventional "knob".

Here is a link to a coupl eof guys making a VERY nice reproduction...any Hurst shifter can use these!

http://www.surprisegarage.com