HybridZ

Gotten stopped for not having ehaust? I want to hear your st

ratedZ

Well the exhaust is chopped off! And let me tell you...my turbo Z growls like a V8 at idle and you can hear the turbo spool at WOT. It's a little loud but I don't think it's as loud as the Mustangs and Camaro's, not to mention the Harley's around here. I have to admit that I'm a little paranoid when I see cops. Seriously, should I worry about the law? If so, would a glass pack satisfy them? I really like the way it is now and and wanted to keep the exhaust off. So if any of you can give me an insight on this, perhaps a story or two would at least keep me on my toes. Thanks.

cheers.gif

Guest Anonymous

I have a short exhaust stop story.

Back in Nov. when I was doing my exhaust on my '79 with open air and a mild cam.. My buddy and I had just got my msa 3-2 headers on & welding on the y-pipe, I was scheduled to get the rest of my exhaust (msa super turbo 2.5" package) in a few days, I wasn't worried about getting checked until I fired the beast up. DAMN! :eek: Sounded LOUDER than my buddy's 308 camaro! Sure enough, 2 days later I was cruising past a po w/ his radar, he must have wanted to get me somehow because I wasn't doing more than 3 over. So he approaches me and asks me if I knew why he pulled me over. "I dunno sir, I wasn't speeding"

"What year is this?"

..I knew what he was getting at, and I also knew that 99% of people don't know the difference between a 280z and a 280zx, I told him a '77. He asked me why I didn't have a cat or a muffler, and he gave the the short speil on how modifying emissions systems and removing originally cat equipped vehicles is illegal. "It didn't have one when I bought it, and its exempt I believe, sir. I'm getting the rest of the ehxaust, and muffler put in tomorrow."

"The next time you are pulled over and inspected you'll be written up for not having the necessary equipment."

"thanks officer (knowing that he couldn't do anything, I was tempted to ask him if it was okay I had my EGR welded shut ;) )"

In my county years '82 and earlier are exempt (20-year).. Anyway, funny story. Can't wait to see how the 3" pipe w/ the turbo sounds without a muffler :D

-980mak rockon.gif

Guest Anonymous

heh i just got done doing the exhaust on my 87 t-bird TC not even three hours ago. it has a 2 1/2 downpipe than it Y's into 2 2" pipes, 2" mufflers, and out from there. of course i had to make the cat magically disapear, then i took a prebent 2 1/2" piece of tubing and attached a 2 1/4" 31" long cherry bomb to it.(the shop dindn't have anything larger than a 2 1/4" BUMMER) i welded it all up and it doesn't sound too bad IMO. i'm not sure if i like the way it sounds at idle but when i'm at WOT it's just beutiful i tell you.

my exhaust must have been plugged up something fierce i tell you cause now it seems like the quickness of my car has doubled and it will pull like a freight train up to it's redline. hell i did a 60MPH roll on up to about 85 in like less than 3 seconds. (not positive about the time, but it sure felt like it!)

the weird part is we decided to fire it up before i put the exhaust on it just to see what it wouldd sound like and i swear it sounded just like my friends dieasel 4 cylinder tractor LOL but then again that could be attributed to the fact that my ignition had gone out and i had to replace the dizzy as well at the same time but since i had no timing light it just eyeballed it. BIG MISTAKE, factory setting is supposed to be 10 BTDC but it was sitting at -10 BTDC luckily my buddy let me use his light and we got it straightend out.

Whatever you do - make sure the prototypical "glasspack" type muffler is not involeved. These have WAY too much restriction in them.

Use the newer turbo/race mufflers.

I personally do not think much of the Flowmasters for turbo cars, but the younger crowd tolerates noise better than I EVER have so this is just my own opionion as far as SOUND is concerened.

As far a PERFORMANCE is concerned, I believe that every unbiased article ever written about mufflers has shown that on turbo cars, the turbo style mufflers from DynoMax (SuperTurbo/Ultraflow/Race) produced better times/acceleration.

I guess it boils down to whether you want to SOUND fast or BE fast...