HybridZ

best size to use!!!! help

Guest 280Tom'z

Guest 280Tom'z

currently i have a 76 280 N/A but i'm going to turbo somtime down the road i'm going to put 2.5 on it will that be enough for the turbo or should i go with 3 and if i do 3 what will be the down side. (not worried about the sound) so when i get on it people look and say did that come from that little import eek2.gif

Guest kc6wfs

2.5 should be just fine.

Turbos don't need or want back pressure.

3" would be ok but not sure if it would be worth it.

I'd say 2.5 with a free flowing muffler will do just fine.

Sound will be deadend a lot from the turbos.

Dave

cheers.gif

Guest Anonymous

The bigger the better for turbo, as Corky bell said, the best exhaust for a turbo system is none. More flo = more go (well its a bit more complicated then that, but thats the general *rule of thumb).

Regards,

Lone

*Don't let the wife/girlfriend/S.O. read this, but the 'rule of thumb' meant you couldn't strike your wife with anything wider than your thumb. (I wonder if a 1 X 12 was considered wider than your thumb... ;) ). Of course not acceptable these days.

Guest Aaron

Hey Lone, I think the law is still on the books in AL that you can beat you wife with anything smaller than your pinky finger in your front yard. I keep telling my wife I am going to get after her with a car antenna ;) , but she just says "take your best shot".

Guest 280Tom'z

Thing is i can get the 3 on now cheep but i don't have turbo yet much less the $$$$ to get one will three work on my N/A car for now!!!

Pretty sure you won't like 3" on an N/A, and guaranteed when you get a turbo you will have to redo the exhaust anyway, because the downpipe is in a different location than a header. I use a 2-1/2" exhaust on my turbo (T3/TO4, 12psi intercooled, 13.6@102) and I have no spool problems whatsoever.