HybridZ

280zx performance exhaust options

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just bought an '82 na 280zx and I want to rework the intake and exhaust first for more horsepower, better sound and flow etc... The exhaust system currently on the car is completely stock except for the muffler and I believe it is around midas level as far as quality. Eventually I want to add turbo(s) to the car after preparing the car for it. What is the best route to go if I want to do exhaust first and replace the entire system with aftermarket performance parts? I was hoping to be able to make it dual exhaust but it looks like that is going to be a good deal of work judging from an earlier post on this matter... Any ideas?

Get a 3" or 3.5" exhaust made for your car. If you would rather have mandel bends, you'll have to buy the tubing and then have a good 'custom' exhaust shop fab it for you.

You'll want to use a resonator or middle muffler to cut down on the droning noises made by a larger, higher flowing system. The small bullet shaped mufflers by Borla and others come to mind, and you can also use a larger free flowing muffler for the rear like a Dynomax Super Turbo. Use the search function for more ideas--custom exhausts apply to every car anyway, so the info is pertinent.

Davy

• 2 weeks later...

UNless you are planning on doing the turbo really soon(sounded like more of a down-the-road kinda thing to me) stick to 2.25-2.5" pipe on the L28. On my non-turbo Z I am running a header to 2.5" exhaust back to a super turbo muffler. It's not all that loud but I would choose a diff muffler if I had to do over again. The super turbo sounded really nice and mellow before the header was on the car but now with the header it sounds really hollow and raspy sounding when up in the revs.

JT