HybridZ

cut-out exhaust?

KiD-ViD

I want to make my Z a sleeper for street racing (no one will expect an old datsun to have a supercharged 383 under the hood.) So I want to put some P.O.S. restrictive quiet exhaust one it and have a cut out for when it comes time to race. Has anyone done this before? do you have pictures or any tips to help me on my way?

Guest Anonymous

There are cable operated cast iron cut outs available from I think Summit racing and Jegs and many others. They look like a Y and when the cable is pulled exhaust is diverted to the open leg of the Y and it gets LOUD! :D

Only issue I've seen is they tend to stick open sometimes. I guess if you maintain them it'd probably help.

Regards,

Lone

Keep in mind the engine setup (ie. fuel curve/timing) would be quite different for your 'POS' exhaust and the cutout version. You could alternatively have a fine flowing AND quiet exhaust so it's always a fine runner and then, if you want the noise factor, incorporate cutouts for mainly noise and perhaps some performance gain depending on how well your exhaust was done and power levels etc. Just some options.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for that link, didn't know they made such a animal, I guess I should have figured they would, electronics is a great way of doing it. Actually I wasn't that shocked by the price, its a good looking piece, not sure how it'd work on a Z's exhaust.

That does make me want to use one down the line though, lets see Corky Bell says the best muffler for a turbo is none...

Hmmm, Chevy V8 turbo, open cut-out... interesting combination (and it'd scare the crap out of someone when you yanked it open, although the turbo would knock down some of the noise) Your right though tuning would have to be sorted to see how badly it changed and if the computer was keeping up with the change.

Regards,

Lone

An earlier idea I had was to have hi-po tubing up to the back exiting next to a pea shooter sized muffler which was just hanging there. The larger tubing would not show at all. But then I started thinking about the exhaust gasses coming into the rear hatch so I said forget it and just got a muffler with a 5-inch tip smile.gif

I looked into that Quicktime thing too, no way I'm gonna spend that much money...a simple cable operated thing with a return spring to shut it would be fine. That cutout thing in JC Whitney looks heavy though...

Owen