HybridZ

A couple of pictures of my new exhaust since I removed it

QWKDTSN

Yep... going to pull the motor today... Have everything pulled but the goddamn driveshaft which is probably my most hated and despised part on the entire car. I've got a mind to just pull the motor and let the yoke come out of the tailshaft by itself :mad: but then it'd be a pain to put it back in when the motor goes back in. I dunno.. might be worth a shot. Anyways, here are some pics of my exhaust that I had custom built at Ed Hanson's Muffler Service. Okay, so it's not mandrel bent, or full stainless steel, or jet hot coated, but god damn if the guy doesn't do some nice work. He stayed after the shop closed for an extra 4 hours to get my exhaust finished and said that he'd rather work on a car like mine, a custom built machine with lots of time and soul put into it, than any high dollar ferrari. The exhaust is 2.5", and it's routed nicely to clear the oil filter, starter, and clutch slave. It tucks back into the X-pipe, then is flanged to be removed in three parts. It curves up into the MAC center in/offset out mufflers which tuck up under the car, unseen. The way he mounted the hangers is all pretty trick. Up in front at the X, it's actually hung from the transmission. You'll notice that it's almost perfectly symmetrical in all respects. I'm very satisfied :D $428 total for his work and parts, plus $100 for the mufflers from MAC. he only charged me $200 for labor so the tax would be less when the labor was actually 300 something.

exhaust3.jpg

exhaust2.jpg

exhaust1.jpg

Steve,

That is beautiful!!!

How does it sound?

About the shaft...if you have a helper and engine leveler, then just pull the engine and let your helper support the shaft, and vice versa.

Tim

BTW...why are you pulling the motor?

It sounds good, I can't really report much because I haven't got my motor running smooth, and don' t have the carb tuned very well (at all). The idle's like 1100 RPM and at that level it's got a bit of resonation, we'll see how it is on the highway.. if it drones I'll be unhappy ;) It's got kind of a mid-throaty sound, not raspy or boomy... Hopefully someday I'll have some video clips or sound files posted, once I get the car running well.

I ahve to pull the motor because of clutch demons.. she won't go into gear. I got all the right hydraulic parts and still no go so I am convinced it is something internal. At any rate I want to pull it apart and check it out to be sure. Probably, the throwout bearing's not installed right or I don't have the right one.

The above view of the exhaust isn't that great ebcause you can see the welds - once it was all assembled he hit everything with paint to stop and hide corrosion on bolts, flanges, welds, etc so it looks even better on the bottom side ;) I'm afraid my pictures don't do much justice.

Man that guy does some nice work!

And you STOLE that system for that price!

If I charged myself what I make at work for my exhaust, I'd have MANY times more into my system, BEFORE it was coated.

Heck of a deal and a really sweet setup.

Let us know what you think of the X-pipe effect (smoothing, evening of the exhaust - really noticable at WOT and mid to high rpm).

Looks nice!! ;) If you get to know the guys at the muffler shops, you can always get a better deal. The exhaust guy that I deal with will do almost any custom job,and if you pay cash(no recipt) he`ll make you one hell of a deal smile.gif I got dual 3" put on my 88 4x4 chevy, from the headers back, including the mufflers 175.00 (he didn`t even question me when I told him to nix the cat/converter 2thumbs.gif