HybridZ

more about headers...

KiD-ViD

well I am really intent on getting 180 degree headers... do you guys think the pre-made ones will fit a Z? What if I had an exhaust shop custom make some? how much do you guys think that would run. once I heard this sound... http://www.revsearch.com/sounds/dodge450.wav I was hooked. it is so smooth and when I played it for friends they couldent believe it was a v8. what a sleeper that would make.

Pre-made 180 degree headers are usually for dirt track Modifieds. No way they will fit without mods. Custom made ones will set you back about $400-$500 dollars plus $175 for ceramic coating, which is a no-brainer on a set of $500 custom headers IMO. I think it is awesome for a hybrid z, but my frugal nature can't stomach the thought of headers that cost more than my first Z...

Kid-Vid,

I have spent days looking for of the shelf 180 degree headers that wil fit. They all go over the back of the engine and on top of the trans. There is a current link in the chevy forum with 1600 convertible with a small block and 180 headers. Look how forward the engine is and a new trans tunnel would have to be made. I would rather run them under the oil pan like on the link a couple of posts up. Mabye start off with some old block huggers and cut them up before the collecters. Make up a plate that you weld to whats left that bolts to a similar plate that the rest of the pipes run from. Pipes from the second plate will run under the pan and to the collecters. This would make it a two piece header but you should be able to get it in without taking the engine out. I am going to give this way a go when the time comes.

I would still like to see some hp numbers on a 180 degree system vs a conventional system. I wonder if you just get a torque emprovement in the mid range and no extra hp? Its a confusing issuie that I havent been able to find the answer for. Another thing that might be worth considering and I no even less about is just joining the out of balance pipe to the other side so that you only have two pipes crossing over instead of 4.

Look here this guys talk about it a little:

http://members.tripod.com/lyc_42/darkside/exh2.htm

Happy Researching

Dougals