HybridZ

Glass packs AND mufflers?

Guest 240Z_72

Guest 240Z_72

My V8Z has headers and straight pipes with glass packs, right under the seats. I want to take it all the way out the back now, and the shop says it's cheapest just to leave the glass packs in and put a dual-in, dual-out muffler at the back and leave the glass packs there. Will they act as a reasonator and help quiet things, or will they vibrate like h*ll under me and continue to drive me nuts?

Kurt

Project Z pages

I can't say on a v8 (I still have the six) but my exhaust has both a glasspack and flowmaster. I put a header, 2 1/2" pipe and muffler at first But it was too loud for my liking. After installing the glasspack under the driver's seat area, the exhaust noise really calmed down. Long rides in the z are now enjoyable. Only a little power loss was noticable, but not much.

Guest Carlissimo

I have dual exhaust with twin glass packs on my 327 Z (no resonator). When they were new and had glass in them it sounded very much the same as a stock Camaro or Corvette. It was a real sleeper.

Now the glass is gone. It is much throatier and everyone notices that it does not sound like a 240-Z. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I think it is too loud.

I would do it again. But maybe next time I would have flanges welded on so I could easily change them out every couple years.

I would yank those glass packs off since they don't flow as well as a straight thru muffler. You have already said they irritate you. Just stay away from a flowmaster and your car should be ok. Run a dynomax super turbo if you want it to be quieter, a straight thru muffler if you don't care about noise. If you really want to give your ears something to complain about put some flowmasters on it. They resonate something awful.

Jim,

check out part #22599 at partsamerica.com. This is what I'm running on my Z. I looked thru over a hundred diagrams at Advance Auto Parts and only found 2 like that. One was 4 feet long but this one is 3.5x8x15 inches(approx). It's 2 inlet, 1 outlet. The only drawback is it's only 2" pipe dia. so its VERY restrictive but I only have a 305 and I'm running a cable operated cutout on both pipes before it, so its perfect. Super quiet until you open the cutout and then OH MOMMA! The web has the correct pic but the book had an offset outlet. The actual muffler is center outlet and it exits perfectly in the stock location. Just weld on some cheap metal strap/rubber hangers and it bolts to stock location. And get this, only 32 bucks! Hope this helps someone. Take Care.

BTW, that cutout is my favorite thing on the car so far (except for those 2 black marks in my rear view mirror that keep following me around ) :D Pull up at the redlight beside a Mustang owner, open the cutout, blip the throttle, and watch how wide his eyes get! Man, you gotta love that.............................. 2thumbs.gif