HybridZ

CA smog law

Moridin

Guest Philanthr0py

I think that's some major BS if CARB repeals the 30 year exemption law. There should be a vote of some sort to fight this.... I'm barely starting to build my V8 280z. I would really like to see the CARB people in the streets... I would really SHOW them what I think!

Well, that killed my buzz. I was hoping I could do some more obscure hybridz with the 280s in the future. Hopefully CARB doesn't get it passed. The stuff I want to swap is probably better for the environment anyways - with the exception of the rotary idea - , as they are all newer motors.

Remember Guys, all this stuff comes down from the Feds (EPA), it's just how it gets implimented that is in C.A.R.B.S.'s jurisdiction.

While I'm definitely no supporter of some of the wacky emissions rules set by the local air districts, or ARB, but it's the EPA, under scrutiny by the treehugging, lawsuit happy environmental groups that's responsible!!!

Tim

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I work here in the LA harbor for a petroleum storage company and we deal with CARB from time to time, even though they do have to go by the standard set by the Fed EPA, they (CARB) take it on themselves to go above and beyond the mandate set by the feds, that's the reason that we have more stringent pollution laws than just about any other state also the reason for the different exemption from state to state (that and the 30 million people that live here) it's kinda like how once you leave CA it's not illegal to smoke ANYWHERE anymore, Do you guys believe that they are actually trying to ban smoking outside altogether???!!!

Sorry about the tangent!

Guest Anonymous

Check out this article: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/11/30/MN140596.DTL

Basically, it states that CARB is getting worried since the Feds are thinking about stepping in and limiting states rights when trying to regulate air quality. I believe this is somewhat related to the new levels of insanity within this state limiting CO2 emissions and such.

All I can say is GO BUSH!!! I'm not all about polluting the environment, but CA smog regulations have gone too far for too small a gain all at my (the taxpayer) expense.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I live in the Los Angeles area and although pre-74 vehicles are exepmt from bi-annual smog tests, they are still required to be "smog legal". A few years ago CHP smog checkpoints were common, if they decide to start that program up again all cars (including pre-74) will be checked. There are other little known Vehicle Codes that you can be nailed for. For example: any modifications or alterations to your vehicle must be reported to the DMV for tax assessment purposes. A friend of mine got pulled over for no front plate and modified exhaust. As the Officer was writing the citation he admired the fully tricked out 66 Nova. He asked my buddy: "This car is really nice, how much money do you have into it"? My buddy replied "About $15,000". BAHM! Nailed! Be careful how you reply to these types of questions.