HybridZ

How loud would a 280ZXT engine be without a muffler?

Jwink25

• 2 weeks later...

I ran with out a muffler/cat, just straight 2.5' all the way back. It wasn't to loud but loud enough to keep me from getting on it with out giving a good look for cops. If you are worried about losing performance get a straight through glasspack type muffler. Not a cheap Cherrybomb. There are alot of good ones out there. On my car now I have a full T4 with 3" exhaust and ended up putting a round Magnum race muffler on it cause it was way to loud. The inside diameter is larger than 3" so they do not restrict in any way, but also do not cut the noise as much as a street muffler.

• 2 weeks later...

Jwink25 have you been to the hazcc.com site. its the z club here in kansas city. we have members all over the state even in springfield. You may want to look at the clubs site. As far as no muffler I ran my 260 with only headers for about a week and never got pulled over. On my fairlady Z turbo conversion I am going to run 3 inch pipe to a 5 inch supertrapp.

I would re-think the supertraps, heard nothing but bad about them lately. Some folks have used them for Laguna Seca which has I think a 92db limit. So far one blown exaust gasket, one blown engine from excessive backpressure. While it may be more PITA, I think having a method to hookup a second muffler in the center section would be the way to go from the sounds of things.

I met a Mustang guy during my dyno session that runs 4 mufflers (dual ex).

Hello Tom, I am a member of that club! I joined this last summer at the annual picnic. That is the only time I have been able to go, to any of the get togethers. I hope to go a few more times this year. In Joplin I think I am the only person with an older Z. I kinda know a guy in Springfield that is a member...his name is Brian. So you are a member too? My name is Jason Winkfield. Thanks for the reply!