HybridZ

EFI is in and it works!!!!

scottyMIz

well kinda it's 3:22 in the morning and i just got done well kinda i got it so i couls drive it.It has one spot where the throttle is right then after or before the postion it won't go.Anyone got any ideas?I still have to finish tuning the AFM but it seems i never get closer. :mad: I'll try more tomorrow i'm just too tired and sore to mess with it anymore plus i have to goto work in the morning well in about 4 hours i don't know if i can do it :rolleyes: If not oh well i get more time with the truck and for those of you who don't knw what i'm talking about it's the efi i am installing on my mazda b2000 pick up i'll have pics up soon(have to take some first) ;)

"It has one spot where the throttle is right then after or before the postion it won't go"

Do you mean the engine won't rev before/after this position? Is the TPS working correctly? My GM manual said if the signal is over 4.7V, the TPS should be replaced. Also, if you had a scan tool or something you could graph the voltage out. The curve should be smooth and not have any spikes or pits.

Owen

ok guys details now that's it's morning and i'm not as tired. smile.gif The truck runs good in the one throttle position but stumbles in any other position.I forgot to hook up the little sensors for the temp and stuff so that's next hopefully it will smooth it out.If not i have another AFM the old one might be bad and i grabbed another ecu but it's from a 79 so i have to see what the differences are between them before i hook it up to the harness.The injetors are straight up and down i couldn't angle them in the drill bit would flop all over but i figure it will work just straight.I had to use the carb intake cuz it has water jackets running thru it and then mounts to the block along with the intake ports.So i off set it a bit and made my holes tapped them and screwed it on, there is alot of orange silicone on that motor but i don't have the money or time to get gaskets so it works good enuf for me.Just to gauge the difference in the crappy carb and the injection if you reved up the engine with the carb it would just about come even with boost and vaccum you kow 0 on the gauge now just by reving it up it boosts to 4 psi so i have to hook up the wastegate now so it will adjust it for me.I'll take pics tonight when i get out of work and show what i've rig.... i mean engineered :D The efi has promise tho it goes like hell when you have the injectors firing right for the motor.Oh ya i got a comment that it would run lean well it's the total opposite it runs way rich it's weird the stock setting on the afm moves so easy with the turbo pulling on it that i had to tighten up the spring i tightened it up so much that it broke so i had to fix it and then got smart and drilled holes in the flap to let more air in and have the afm register less so it would run right.I think with the sensors out of it that's why it's running weird cuz i remember whan it was in the 76 and i unhooked them just for the hell of it and the car ran like carp i could barely keep it running so hopefully this will do it if not i have some other things to try.If this works i'm going to put the efi on my MGB too i hate carbs too much work to keep them going efi is so much easier to maintain.Well there you have it if anyone has any ideas to help fire away. smile.gif

Heck Scotty!

Sounds like you got it covered! Keeps on running rich; drill more holes in the flap! I'm tickled about your EGR/BOV that's a first!

Now It'll run like crap (real rich and finally die) if you don't have your cold start plug (in block/passenger side) hooked up correctly.

Hope you see daylight soon on this project, Goog Luck!

Len

hey len it runnign right now i ust hooked up the temp sensor and it made all the difference in the world and it has balls 2thumbs.gif lots of balls for a B2000 i'm going to get pics up tomorrow i have to clean up the unused wires there are alot.I'm only running 4-5psi of boost right now i have to turn it up more i've had it up to 11 psi today with no detonation and it pulls hard

Glad to hear things are shining for you again! That cold start plug was fresh in my mind because my wire came off a few days back. I didn't know what happen; I was really pissed! Even replaced ECU, then AFM out of frustration. Then I saw it; boy I could kick myself! Sometimes the problem is staring you right in the face.

By the way I sent off the money to Rudy for those Merkur brown top 370's.

Len

glad to hear that you got a set.I just might put the cold start injector in it cuz it is hard to start in the morning well it was yesterday i'll see today in a few minuates when i leave for work.I have to race my friend's 01 sonoma with the 4.3 vortec engine in it he has an aotu so i think i'll get him off the line but it'll be close at 4 psi i think i'm just going to turn it up to 10 it goes much better at 10psi.Keep me posted on the injector thing he sends his stuff quick and is very nice i'm glad i delt with him instead of some jerk hopefully it works out good for you too.

Oh yea sorry; I was calling Temp sensor a cold start plug. You see if you really think about it.If its cold,usally when you start your car in morning, that dude is on. And when you remove it it looks like a plug (or it plugs the hole in the block it came out of). See it makes dense sense why I called it that. I was also to lazy to look up correct phrase in my 83 280zxt service manual! Glad you understand my thoughts and not my words!!!!!

It should start OK this morning, with that temp sensor hooked up. Hey; if not you have 2 xtra outlets on your injector rail (if I'm not mistaken you used 280 6cylinder rail on a 4 cylinder). Hook up an on/off switch on one of those two injector plugs left over and plumb another injector into your rail. Install injector into intake wolla! While your at it install two that way. So you will have xtra fuel for more boost, when you install the larger Throttle Body and that 3 inch exaust (heck you can get by with a 2 1/2 exaust with that4cy.)....Heh.Heh.Heh...As you told me...can't stay in same place for very long..POWER CONSUMES US ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Z Ya!

or should I say Z/Mazda Ya!

Len

well it don't like to start in the morning so the cold start injector is going in tonight i need it bad so when it's cold like that it doesn't act the way it does.I got the boost turned up now and it hauls but i'll have to see about an ic i'm worried about running much more boost with out one.It is fun tho it just spins in the rain it's kinda fun it spools up and the wheels go weeeeeeee it slid sideways on my lastnight it was great i didn't think it would it's a one wheel wonder and both decided to let loose it was fun.Now the race is set my friend's 4.3 sonoma he said he'd trade it in if i beat him and i think i just might not for sure it's hard to judge them just by sitting in them.I'll definately post the results.There is another guy dave from Grand Rapids that has a conquest i keep teasing him i'm going to beat him(prolly won't) but i like to mess with him he said he'd cry if it did i'd just laugh.I do have a traction problem now in the rain on dry pavement i bet it'll be way better i'll just have to wait and see.That truck is a combo of nissan, mazda and GM.I have alot of time in it but hardly any money sunk into it so that's the best part.