HybridZ

Flow rate of Mustang SVO's/Merkur XR4Ti Injectors

Len

I bought the SVO/Merkur injectors for upgrade on my 83 280ZXT. I installed them. Car ran OK at normal operation. Then at WOT car ran lean. Or I should say the Dawes A/F 5 light gauge showed lean. So I removed injectors had them cleaned. They flow tested them before they cleaned them; they flowed around 86 to 89 ml. at 39lbs. After they cleaned them they flowed 92/93ml. at 39lbs.

I reinstalled them they ran OK at average driving then from 3 or 4lbs. of boost on to WOT they ran lean. So I double checked to make sure they were in fact running lean. I hooked up a multimeter and it showed normal operations running .75 to .84 volts then at WOT about the same possibly .89 to .9 after it started cutting out at WOT. So I called the Co. that cleaned them. Explained the situation. They said bring them down and they really didn't know flow rate for Mustang SVO's but let them know what pressure I wanted to test them.

Correct me if I'm wrong these injectors are rated at 370ml. So that means to really check the flow rate they would need to test injectors at 3 Bar (atmospheres) which is 44lbs. and then see how they flow. They should flow 370ml. at 3 Bar. Right?

Thinking back they tested them at 39lbs. they flowed 93ml. Thats a long ways off of 370ml. by a difference of just 5lbs. (39lbs.to 44lbs.)?

Any ideas?

Is the body of the injector brown? There are green ones that do not flow as much. I have personally tested the brown top injectors at 360cc at 37 psi, so the company that tested them did it wrong, or your injectors are seriously anemic. No injector I know of only flows 100cc per minute. Maybe they only flow test them for 15-20 seconds? Who knows?

They are the browntop. I am not sure if they tested them for one min. That's a good point. Didn't think to ask how long they tested them at the 39lbs. twak.gif When I remove them to have them test them at a higher pressure I'll ask.

I just know the 260ml.browntop turbo injectors I removed ran alot better than these!

The outfit that flow tested injectors said the 92 ml. output they recorded at 39PSI was for one min. duration. Hmmmmmm...doesen't seem like very much flow Huh!

Another question. Anybody with the Mustang SVO or Merkur XR4Ti 370cc injectors, please look on the side of injector and let me know if your ID# is E5ZE A3A or E5ZE A3B That's what on the side of mine.

I visited at a friends auto shop and looked in a bag he said injectors came off a ford 302 V8 and they were Light brown tops and ID# was E5TE A3A or E5TE A3B except one which was a browntop with the same ID as my browntops (E5ZE A3A) I'm beginning to think that maybe I was sold the wrong injectors!