HybridZ

Aftermarket EFI knock sensor

jgkurz

Hi all, I need a new style knock sensor for my 82 L28ET block. As far as I can tell the factory knock sensor is not compatible with my Tec3. Has anyone been able to install a new style sensor in the original block location? Electromotive uses GM type sensors, but I am willing to try anything that would screw into my block with modification.

Thanks

you can use the GM knock sensor, it may have sae threads, just go to your local car parts store and pick up a small pack of metric to SAE conversion adapters, thread the matching one into your block, thread the sae knock sensor in, and SHAAAAAAZAAAAAAAAAAAAAM, its in! sorry, just got done watching goldmember.

its just me, i cant tell em apart if its not obvious, and it might be easier than getting a metric to sae adapter, you might just need a reducer fitting, but the metric to sae fitting adapters arent a bad thing to have either way.

These sensors are tuned. Electromotive cannot tell you what range theirs is tuned for or what application it came from apparently. I ran across a thread concerning this last night at the forums found here -> http://www.vishnutuning.com/welcome.htm It was some Miata guys talking about it as I recall. They gave some good advice on figuring out how to choose a sensor. Hope that helps guys!

What BlkMgk said. smile.gif I think that this was the post he was referring to.

I'm pretty sure that I know of a couple of people successfully using the stock Nissan knock sensor with the TEC II, and I'm also pretty sure that this interface was not changed for the TEC III.

I'm using the GM knock sensor that E-motive specifies with a TEC-II, and it does not work for sh!t, BTW...

Thanks TimZ!!

You were right. I couldn't find the thread.

Just to clarify, are you using a 280ZXT knock sensor or a later Nissan type?

The 280ZXT sensor has two leads which I'm not sure how I would hook to my one lead Tec3. :confused:

Regards

John-

I'm using the Electromotive/GM knock sensor in my 83 L28ET block and it works great with my TEC II. My block had an npt tap in the stock location, and the GM sensor fit just fine. It was a tight fit but it doesn't have to screw in until it bottoms out, just tight.

Good Luck

Tim