HybridZ

Is it the starter relay?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I finished my 71 240z V8 convertion. I was able to make the car start and go for a few days. One day the engine starter had a hard time cranking as if the battery was low in juice and eventually the started stop working. The ignition switch is good, started and selenoid are brand new, battery is new, alternator is charging and all the cables are securely fastened. Could it be the starter relay located under the dash on the passengers side? I can make the starter crank if I go under the car and use a cable to give current to the selenoid. Any suggestions? icon_confused.gif

Check the ground. Make sure you have one from the negative terminal to the engine , and another ground strap from the block to the firewall. I made that mistake and the positive wire was burning up. Had a hard time starting the car. Got a new ground strap and took care of the starting problem. Good luck. James

Guest Anonymous

I didn't think the early Zs had a starter relay...? I had a similar problem with my conversion, eventually solved by fitting a relay in the engine compartment for the solenoid. No probs since.