HybridZ

Hard to start, rough idle, then dies

Guest steven96

Guest steven96

My car is a 78 280z that is having some problems. The car doesnt like to start you have to crank it with giving it gas to force it to start. Then once it is started it sounds like its gonna blow up. If you keep the peddle down with gas it will stay running. I have changed the PCV valve because someone said it could be that. Also the distributor cap and rotor plus the fuel filter all are good too. Does anyone know where to look next? Thanks

Steven

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Something that helped me was to go over the ECU brain with the Fuel Injection Diagnostic test in the Datsun shop manual. It outlines how to check circuits(water, fuel, exhaust etc)and tests for other parts. The manual is helpfull also in the way that you can look up your specific problem and find out what to check. Unfortunately, your screwed in that department cuz the manuals are out of print. Try ebay, I think any 280z manual would do the trick as long as you know the difference between the years. Also, MSA gave me the publisher's phone number. I will try to track that down and see if i can get a copy (at least for me). You could also try used book stores in our area.

Originally posted by Steven82:

[QB]My car is a 78 280z that is having some problems. The car doesnt like to start you have to crank it with giving it gas to force it to start.

Do you mean you have to push down on the accelerator pedal when cranking to get to start?

Then once it is started it sounds like its gonna blow up. If you keep the peddle down with gas it will stay running.

Sounds like it is going to blow up is vague. Specifically what heppens? The rpms shoot way up when it starts, it knocks, it spits out the air flow meter, what?

Also, what is coming out of the tail pipe when this is going on? Black smoke? No smoke? Does the engine run smoothly when you give it gas?

I would suggest some basics first. I would like to make sure you have good plugs.Make sure the plug wires are in the proper firing order. 153624 is the order. Before that, I would suggest checking your fuel pressure, and making sure it is ok. With the vaccuum line removed from the fuel pressure regulator, it should not be over 36 psi. You could check that without starting the engine.

Also, disconnect the cold start injector by removing the plug that connects to it and see if you get an improvement. A fuel injected Datsun should start up quickly with no gas pedal action required. The fact that you have to open the throttle plate suggests to much fuel, but I need more info.

Providing the additional info should help diagnose the problem. A factory manual is invaluable, but you can figure out what the problem is with a little testing.

More info needed, especially re too much fuel or too little. If too much, you should have black smoke and fuel-fouled plugs. When you are "giving it a lot of gas" you may actually be going into the "clear-flood" mode because it is dumping gas on it's own. See if you can get it to start with the cold-start valve disconnected. DAW