HybridZ

thermostat sticking??!!-help...

i have been having a problem when the car is cold. once it is started and begins to come up to temp-the gauge continues past 180 and goes to around 210 before settling back to 180. it doesn't do it all the time and usually just when the car is completely cold. i have done the following to troubleshoot; replaced the t-stat [twice], ensured that i don't have air in the system [letting come up to temp-once antifeeze starts to circulate, then top off]. i have also run w/o the t-stat [temp seems to stabilize around 145-150, and don't experience the problem. i don't want to damage the head by seeing this temp spike each time i drive. does anyone run w/o a t-stat? if i do this, any problems? also, i run a 4 row rad, oil cooler and elec. fan, L28, p90 head, jcr supercharger setup. any help/feedback would be greatly appreciated!

thanks...

Originally posted by 1 tuff z:

the gauge continues past 180 and goes to around 210 before settling back to 180.

This sounds like your electric fan is not comming on until 210, once it comes on it drops back to 180. Did you check this?

Don't run with out a t-stat on the street. The engine will run hotter because the radiator does not get a chance to cool the fluid.

Guest greimann
Originally posted by 1 tuff z:

the gauge continues past 180 and goes to around 210 before settling back to 180.

That temperature is far from being a problem. I think you are seeing uneven water temperature in the entire system, and the gauge sees just one little pocket of heat. When the whole system equalizes, the fan turns on and the gauge sees proper temperature. It sounds like your system is designed well and functioning properly.

Your test without a thermostat proves my contention that lack of dwell time in a radiator DOES NOT contribute to overheating and that URBAN LEGEND needs to die. Good work!

Do not, however, run without a thermostat because an engine needs to be up to a controlled temperature to get maximum combustion efficiency.